Glue??

/ Glue??
Bird,
Fine looking work. I bet your mom showed it off to everyone. The many talents of Mr. Bird./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I think a fine woodworker is kind of like a great composer. You have to die and have your stuff stick around for a long time before anyone will recognize you. Thanks for the picture. I'm looking forward to one of your garden in another couple of months.
Al

/ Glue?? #42  
<font color=blue>You have to die and have your stuff stick around for a long time</font color=blue>

I agree, Al. Unfortunately, the attached pictures show the only pieces left of my dad's handiwork. He died in '89 and certain greedy relatives (let's not even go there) had been helping themselves to his creations too long before I caught on. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

The Windsor chairs are great examples of his skill (and patience), but I confess I'd rather look at them than sit on them. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif The li'l table with the fold-down wings was a miniature knock-off of his store-bought dining room table that he did just for fun. I really like it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Keep in mind, Pop started out as a music and math teacher, and eventually retired as an assistant superintendant of a large school district here in the S.F. Bay Area. Woodworking was just something he enjoyed doing.

Attachments

• 8-95949-HarvPopFurniture.jpg
    8-95949-HarvPopFurniture.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 66
   / Glue??
Harv,
Your Pop was a fine woodworker./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I do square, plumb and level stuff, but chairs, no way. I do dowel pin, cross grain plug, screw and glue on the only wood, oak, where that type of construction seems acceptable. I have never met a mortise or tenon that liked me./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and biscuits are for breakfast. I like the drop wing table also, lot of surface up, not much space when its down. Glad to see you ended up with some of your dad's works.
Al

/ Glue?? #44  
Harv,
WOW! nice looking chairs. I am in to boatbuilding my self. Unfortunely I don't have any pics of mine.

/ Glue?? #45  
Harv,

Those are wonderful pieces. Chairs are difficult at best. I am certainly glad to see that your were able to hold onto some of your dad's work. Things like that are priceless.

Terry

/ Glue?? #46  
Harv, I'd never have the patience, much less the right tools and know how, to do the kind of woodworking your dad did. That's some beautiful pieces.

/ Glue?? #47  
<font color=blue>I'd never have the patience, much less the right tools and know how</font color=blue>

I hear you, Bird. The tools are now mine, my patience is improving and my know-how is, shall we say, "under-developed"?
crazy.gif

I also believe Pop had a natural talent, since he had absolutely no training is such things. Sure wish that trait had made it into my genes.
wink.gif