Getting too old to step up 22”

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #61  
So, we know trucks need to be higher to allow for the heavier suspension and more travel required to handle heavier loads. Same reason a 3500 is always taller than a 1500, of similar configuration (eg. 2wd vs 4wd). But are makers falsely making them even taller than really required, in an effort to make one look tougher than the next? Cosmetics have a lot to do with truck sales, especially for younger guys and the grocery-getter crowd.

I don't mind the step-in height to the cab of my stock height RAM 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman, although it's fun watching my young kids climb in at the carpool lane. But I also wouldn't mind a lower bed height, if it were achievable without sacrificing hitch tongue weight limits, as tongue weight is the one thing I have trouble not violating regularly on this truck.

I'm running something like a 9" drop on my hitch to level out my tandem axle trailer. Back in the 1990's, I was running 4" or 6" drop hitches with the same trailers. Things have gone up.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #62  
OP: good work on your step project. has the step low ground clearance posed any problems? regards

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #64  
So, we know trucks need to be higher to allow for the heavier suspension and more travel required to handle heavier loads. Same reason a 3500 is always taller than a 1500, of similar configuration (eg. 2wd vs 4wd). But are makers falsely making them even taller than really required, in an effort to make one look tougher than the next? Cosmetics have a lot to do with truck sales, especially for younger guys and the grocery-getter crowd.

I don't mind the step-in height to the cab of my stock height RAM 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman, although it's fun watching my young kids climb in at the carpool lane. But I also wouldn't mind a lower bed height, if it were achievable without sacrificing hitch tongue weight limits, as tongue weight is the one thing I have trouble not violating regularly on this truck.

I'm running something like a 9" drop on my hitch to level out my tandem axle trailer. Back in the 1990's, I was running 4" or 6" drop hitches with the same trailers. Things have gone up.

Wouldn't be surprised if they aren't making them higher for sales. I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4 and I have running boards but never use them. I can step right in but I am 6'4" too. Wife uses them. It is lower than anything newer. I kind of like it that way. It is hard for a tall person to use running boards because running boards put us up too high and we end up hitting our heads getting in, at least I do.

Might be wise if a manufacturer had a lower 4x4 and marketed it to the boomer who doesn't want to climb into a monster truck. I know it would appeal to me.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #65  
Just like idiots willing to finance way more truck than they can really afford, short-changing retirement and other things for the sake of a car payment, this governs the direction of the auto industry. Maximized profits, thanks to idiots who care more about how their truck looks, than how it really works for hauling. :rolleyes:

I lament the demise of manual transmissions, manual transfer cases, manual locking hubs, and every other thing that made a truck more useful than comfortable. I have a sedan which I drive when the weather's nice and I'm not hauling a trailer, but I appear to be the odd man out, with too many using their trucks as glamour statements and daily commuters.

That's not to pretend I can't enjoy luxury and cosmetics too, I do enjoy my heated seats and climate control, and try to keep my truck mostly free of serious dings and scratches. But when it gets in the way of the truck being useful, like stupid-high tailgates, then luxury and cosmetics be damned.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #66  
Rather take the time and money making extra steps and hand holds than spending time and money healing from a spill. In it for the long haul.

IMHO, if really in it for the long haul, stretching every day is the answer.
It only takes time, no money and is the singular most important thing you can do “for the long haul”.
I’d argue that flexibility is the largest and most important indicator on how many more days you have left on this spinning ball.

Flexibility is directly connected to mobility, which impacts strength, and balance, the probability of falling and many many more issues.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #67  
IMHO, if really in it for the long haul, stretching every day is the answer.
It only takes time, no money and is the singular most important thing you can do “for the long haul”.
I’d argue that flexibility is the largest and most important indicator on how many more days you have left on this spinning ball.

Flexibility is directly connected to mobility, which impacts strength, and balance, the probability of falling and many many more issues.

No reason both techniques can’t be beneficial. We enjoy considerable safety and comfort benefits with modern equipment ergonomic improvements.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #68  
For a home-brew step on a tractor, I'd borrow the idea on a lot of utility trucks' rear steps- make the uprights from 3/4" to 1" steel cable. Stiff enough for support; flexible enough to survive hitting something.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #69  
We had the barn roof re-shingled a few years ago. As I came down the driveway on the tractor, I saw one of the lads hop from the ground onto the bed of the pickup truck. No hands. I couldn't believe it, so when I got there I asked him to do it again, and he did. This was pre-Covid and I was still going to the gym, and part of my routine was to put one 3-inch platform on top of another and hop up. So I was hopping 6 inches and this kid was levitating what, 40 inches?

I'll be 91 in a couple weeks. Does that make me the senior member here?
You got me beat cuz I won't be 91 for 10 months.........But I don't need no step up...... yet ....at least for the B2620. The B2650 has a step already built in and I do use it. Being 5'2'' and trim means that I don't have much to lift.:ROFLMAO:

To get into the back of my F-250, I just step on the bumper and swing one leg over......That has worked for me so far. My old fashioned diamond plate running boards are handy however.....especially for older passengers.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #70  
For a home-brew step on a tractor, I'd borrow the idea on a lot of utility trucks' rear steps- make the uprights from 3/4" to 1" steel cable. Stiff enough for support; flexible enough to survive hitting something.

A picture is worth a thousand....

The second one from a scrap tire might be easier, especially with multiple rungs.
3ED3C3DA-BC7D-4F5D-90E0-0264699C6B19.jpeg
9BBD16A5-C8DF-443F-A2EA-AB028DBBE62A.png

Last edited: