Getting too old to step up 22”

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #51  
I turned 80 this year and remember a friend suggesting I write my age on the back of my glasses to remind me not to try the things I did 20 years ago. Now with back problems and a hernia, I think I understand but I an't giving up just yet.

Getting up into the cab of my Ford 6000 can be challenging. It is not just the steps but also the very small opening just in front of the left hand rear wheel - see picture. Refilling the diesel from a 20 itre container while balancing on the step is an interesting job too
Keep going old buddy. Maybe build a step stool.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #52  
I will be turning 81 this summer. I sure do not need anything written anywhere to remind me how old I am. My knees remind me every morning. Like all of us - I use to be able to jump up out of bed and go like a house-a-fire.

Now it's a careful, planned exit until the 'ol knees are warmed up and ready to participate.

Age is a funny old dog............

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #53  
Can your fender be moved outward or turned slightly? Didn't see a photo of the Ford 6000. Hernias can be repaired. Mine were. Perhaps Paul Shortt (sp?) out on the coast of Nfld can help. He builds a lot of steps for Kubotas.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #54  
I turned 80 this year and remember a friend suggesting I write my age on the back of my glasses to remind me not to try the things I did 20 years ago. Now with back problems and a hernia, I think I understand but I an't giving up just yet.

Getting up into the cab of my Ford 6000 can be challenging. It is not just the steps but also the very small opening just in front of the left hand rear wheel - see picture. Refilling the diesel from a 20 itre container while balancing on the step is an interesting job too

Those are a pretty good size row crop tractors and a cab will surely not help getting in and out!

1670424728529.png

I have been using one of these to make refueling easier.

IMG_5874II.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
   / Getting too old to step up 22” #55  
So what about dismounting from the tractor seat ? I now depend on the rear tire cleats for an extra handle to get off the tractor. It's puzzling to me that the same cleat is always in the position I use to climb off: It's the with the fresh dog poo on it.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #56  
$12 on Amazon

Attachments

• 20221007_175302.jpg
    20221007_175302.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
   / Getting too old to step up 22” #57  
Just did the "old man crawl" up onto my pickup truck tailgate last night. You know the one, rather than just leaping up there, you hang one knee on the tailgate and then sort of crawl in. First time ever, but I was tired and had already banged my knee earlier in the day. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #58  
Just did the "old man crawl" up onto my pickup truck tailgate last night. You know the one, rather than just leaping up there, you hang one knee on the tailgate and then sort of crawl in. First time ever, but I was tired and had already banged my knee earlier in the day. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.
Check post #16 here: Getting too old to step up 22”

Slider_BEDSTEP_1.jpg

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #59  
Rather take the time and money making extra steps and hand holds than spending time and money healing from a spill. In it for the long haul.

/ Getting too old to step up 22” #60  
Like Xfaxman's post #58. I put a side step on the Taco Wagon. The Rhino Lining they sprayed into the bed is so damn rough - makes crawling around on my knees very hurtful.
IMG_0001.jpeg

Last edited: