Getting an annual physical at the doctors

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors
To me a lot of funerals and cemeteries is a racket. The family is distraught and many times buy the more expensive coffin, flowers, service. His wish was ashes on his land...but what to do about grandmother?
I think funeral homes are a lot like realtors and lawyers. The industry gets a bad name because of those out there that don't do what they love to do.

My father and son passed away last year, and the funeral home was great to deal with in both cases (during that time nothing really is "great" at that moment in time) and never felt like we were "bent over". Biggest expense at the time was my dad as we had to take his ashes up to a national cemetary up in Pa, and the funeral home up there coordinated with the cemetary the funeral procession. That said, we had a service at the funeral home for everyone. Still wasn't that much for the day IMO. Biggest bill was probably the meals and free booze LOL

When your kind of numb, it's nice to have people care in what they do to make your life easier by walking you through everything. I'm kind of cheap, and never did it cross my mind "wow, that sure is expensive".

That said, the only "real" funeral I dealt with was my aunts about 15 years ago. Belive the "standard" cost for a burial plot, casket and the whole nine yards is like 8K?

Cremation and everything involved I think was around 1k. I don't need my body in one piece when I'm dead, and all things considered, cremation IMO is a much easier process all the way around.

That said, when my aunt found out that my dad was being cremated, she mentioned that our chuch doesn't believe in that. End of the day, I believe a omnipotent God really cares. What, fill your body up with chemicals so you can look "normal" longer thann usual when dead? Going to be turned into worm food anyways.

Last edited:
   / Getting an annual physical at the doctors #112  
We made a lot of choices back then which were based on emergency dialogs. It was supposed to be temporary, yet got dragged out for whatever reason. Now it seems some of those "temporary measures" have become long term, and I wonder what we have given up.
For 3 years my mother said we'd have a family gathering "When things settle down." Now at 86 she still mentions it, but when it comes down to it she doesn't like a lot of people around.
It took mom's passing in 2023 to gather everyone...

I was looking around and thinking how much she would have loved seeing everyone.

Her pleasures were simple... helping neighbors, going for walks or a hike and gardening... raising an abundance of produce to give away although she did sell her prized organic mission figs for years as the market owner wanted all she could bring.

Even having a family niche at the Columbarium and urn the associated costs excluding funeral totaled $4500

From Great Grandmother to parents and uncles together it was my Grandmother that pulled it all together to one location... The the Great Greats are buried nearby within walking distance.

The place was designed by Julia Morgan and shares features and design elements with Hearst Castle.

Mom several times pointed out there is room for me! She would visit every Friday with fresh flowers from her garden...

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #113  
My wish for my last day would be crawling off into the woods letting the buzzards and coyotes have me!

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #114  
My wish for my last day would be crawling off into the woods letting the buzzards and coyotes have me!
That's one of my options when I'm through. Sit in a chair some cold rainy night amidst the burying spots of my dogs, and go out with happy memories.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #115  
Throw in bears and you will have lots of options and don't forget sharks.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #116  
We've always been happy with the two local funeral homes I've dealt with so many times over the years. One of the cemeteries, on the other hand, has been quite the disappointment. It has been sold several times, they don't maintain if very well, and I told them if I had the means, I'd dig up my entire family and move them to another cemetery.

Cemeteries are supposed to put money aside for maintenance forever. However, it's pretty clear this one isn't doing it.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #117  
I just had my annual on Wednesday. Blood work came back OK, except for high white blood cell count. Wouldn't it figure that I have the crud right now.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #118  
Speaking of funeral costs.

It's a long story, but an ordered Challenger Hellcat Redeye (not an inexpensive vehicle) at a very small dealership eventually ended up being bought by a local mortician.

It sure seemed like that car sure was possessed, but that only made it more ironic.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #119  
My wife and i were discussing our future and i told her that i want to be cremated. She said that was against the bible. I said really, was the earth not born of fire? Then she said well then what about your ashes? I very seriously told her to get an empty Jack Daniels or similar bottle. Fill it with my ashes, drive down the road until you see a concrete bridge abutment and have at it. Whack!

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #120  
December 21st, texted the neighbors wife asking if her husband could lend me an extra set of hands (he doesn't use a cell phone LOL). Wife mentioned he wasn't feeling well. Mentioned no problem and let me know if I could help in any way.

December 24th, stopped in on the way back from Church to visit them to make sure everything was ok. Found out my neigbor had lung cancer, stage 4.

Early morning December 31st, neighbor called to let me know her husband passed away.

Reality is he was fit as a fiddle at age 76.

Basically in less than a month when his wife kind of forced him to to the doctors because he wasn't feeling well, he is no longer here.

We took some home baked food over last night. He was blessed because he was able to stay in his house during his short time left with his family at home.

He smoked regularly.

Point being, when we get older, even if you're fit at an older age, make sure you get a physical once a year.

Guy and his wife have always been great neighbors. Kind of the neighbors where when we get together and talk, it's never a short session.
And just how would getting a "physical" lengthened his enjoyable life?
Cancer= worry=treatment=suffering=death every day for as long as it lasts.

Screw that, die once!