Getting an annual physical at the doctors

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #121  
I want my ashes put in the Llano river at the James Branch. I then want my kin to drive down to Castell and have a meal and a beer from the Castell General store, as my ashes float by.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #122  
My wish for my last day would be crawling off into the woods letting the buzzards and coyotes have me!
A swim out to sea or a walk in the winter woods...
Either will do for me.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #123  
Making your wishes known can be great comfort to loved ones.

Funerals and Final Resting Places often cause families to go into debt and I’m sure many of the deceased wouldn’t want that… only speculation on my part.

The small town where moms side of the family is from visit departed every Sunday after church as the cemetery is adjacent to the church… I have met a few distant relatives graveside after Sunday service just by chance…

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors
And just how would getting a "physical" lengthened his enjoyable life?
Cancer= worry=treatment=suffering=death every day for as long as it lasts.

Screw that, die once!
Stage 4 cancer indeed is a no winner after finding out you have it.

That said, even in my own case, I've found some potential problems with my own health that I either need to address or just keep doing what I'm doing ignoring the problem.

Reality is we all die once. I believe the key is to find issues that can be fixed or wait until those issues can't be fixed becuase you either didn't know that there was an issue or you just plain ignored it.

Funerals and Final Resting Places often cause families to go into debt and I’m sure many of the deceased wouldn’t want that… only speculation on my part.
I was the executor for my aunt who basically had no money (learned from her husband on what not to do over the years when I was younger).

The one thing I was eternally grateful for was the fact that her funeral expenses had been taken care of by herself, everything paid for (about 13 years ago, thinking is was around 8K).

Direct cremation will generally run about 1K vs about a 8K-10K burial cost. When mom passed away and we were looking at caskets in 2002, my dad and I were blow away with the cost you could spend just on a casket. I asked the funeral home director if they had anything in a cardboard box (with a straight face) and he was thrown back (my dad was laughing and I'm certain so was my mom). NO WAY would my parents pay for what we were looking for on an higher end casket cost wise.

After my dad delt with a brother in law who was cremated, only way he wanted go. Short, simple and cost effective in his opinion. After dealing with my dads cremation, only way I'd go (and my wife agrees). Father in law's ashes were taken up to Vermont a year later for a simple service on his family plot before my dad went.

For myself the place where my loved ones lie isn't in the ground to visit, but in my heart.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #126  
When Ma and Pa died, Almost to the day 6 months apart, I was shocked by the attitude more than the cost.
My parents stated they only wanted a simple cremation. Most of their friends were gone and those still above ground were further away and the travel would have been difficult for them.
When I first went to organise the cremation the "SALES PERSON", that's what they are, was super friendly like a car sales man.
Imagine her disappointment when I only wanted the basics. Two upgrades were a nice urn and the rules here state the body has to be in a casket when it's burned. I upgraded from a pressboard box to a real basic wood one.
No white sidewall tires, power windows or AC. The dear departed will do without AM/FM CD player turbo charged engine.
She went from exuberantly friendly to efficient.
All in, just over $3k.
About a year later a friend buried his mother and just the casket cost $13k. Nicer piece of furniture than she ever owned when she was alive.

Last edited:
   / Getting an annual physical at the doctors #127  
My sisters visited yesterday, and we were discusing are arrangements. One asked if I would build her a pine box and if she could be buried on the property. Replied that it would not be a problem.
My wife told them that we had discussed me running the back hoe for digging my own last resting place and just rolling me in. Got a good laugh, but we have discussed it.
Life is sacred to us and to God. But once there is no life, our bodies are just a shell. Then we go to the other side to be with Him.
Annual physicals? Worked in health care and have seen enough doctors already.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #128  
Not to offend anyone but Whole body donation allows no cost cremation. My late Father donated his body for research and the process was straight forward for me to handle. After he passed I simply called up the notification number and they handled all the arrangements. Teh created remains 9of anything they did not need) were returned to my younger brother (lives in Oregon) for my Dad's desire for his ashes to be spread in Puget Sound.

I myself am now signed up so no one needs to be out anything for my remains.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #129  
Both of my parents went quickly, and were still sharp of mind...my father at 84, mother 95. Both were "ready to go", neither had any desire to hang on for the sake of hanging on. We didn't have a funeral per se for my mother, just a final Thanksgiving at the family home. It was just my sisters, niece and I with our respective significant others. There were a few scattered cousins, etc. but most anyone who'd be apt to attend a funeral had predeceased her.

Both my wife have made it known to each other and to her sons how we wish our ashes be dealt with. Who knows if they'll honor those wishes, and given that we'll be dead won't really matter I suppose.

and given that we'll be dead won't really matter I suppose.
That's just it... Our son could put my ashes with my wifes at some of our favorite hiking places, or he could just flush us down the toilet.

End of the day I think what matters most is those whom you love miss you on this worldly earth.

What I do think that matters is that you make it easier on the ones whom you love who are stuck dealing with your dead body. What I do know is I did exactly what my father wanted and my wife did exactly what her dad wanted because we loved them.

Last edited: