Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #81  
   / Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #82  
I do have a thread here called Trail clearing and there tools here. Or something like that. We buy rolls of BIG string and do trails cutting tree shoots with it. Large strings are the way to go in our book.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #83  
Got one but except for short slopes
I think if you need to do more than 3-4 hours of continuous weed wacking, you are either doing it commercially, or using the wrong tool (or solution).
Maybe not continuous weed whacking but reclaiming some step slopes or around remote ponds takes time and a variety of tools from backhoe to chainsaw to weed whacker. All a 1/2 or more from an outlet or road. Throwing some extra gas and oil in bucket is easy and don't have to unload (to recharge) to work the next day. Often I just leave the tools and come back the next day to continue.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #84  
How does the cost and weight of the tool + battery compare to the equivalent gas one?
When I was pricing a Stihl commercial pole saw,the battery one cost ~50 more and weighed ~1-2 lbs more than the gas model.
A few comments about the price and they pointed me at the husky equivalent that was $110 less. I ony made the buy this week, so I can't compare the two I have used a rental Stihl in the past.
Probably near the same weight as a gas one; depends on size battery you use. Had to give away all my gas equipment about 10 years ago when I had an ICD put into my chest.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #85  
My wife likes her Black and Decker battery string trimmer so much that when the first one died we got a second one. And I kept her from taking the guard off since it had a sticker on it that said if you do it will overheat. Which is what killed the first one. When the second one dies we'll get a DeWalt because we have a bunch of batteries.
I have been trying to verify the unfounded claim HF’s Bauer uses same cells (not just same size) as Dewalt. Probably use 18650 like Dewalt, but that is not “same cells, just as good.”

Others have tested “Dewalt compatible” replacement batteries and found all comers lacking.

I was glad to learn Dewalt uses 18650 because there is a ready source of quality individual cells. For $5/cell or less one can rebuild. 5 cells in a 20v pack. Not really 20v but close enough for marketing. Sexier than 18v.

Still nothing on Bauer. There is a tab on Bauer or Dewalt which if cut allows one battery to operate in the other tool.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #86  
Looks like there is a strong vote for electric. I have a bunch of Ryobi 18v tools and batteries. Electric power tools have their place. I'm not sure it is on the overgrown fence line once or twice a year. I'm not saying it couldn't be done... I'm saying I've always used a gas trimmer for that.
My EGo will trim for about an hour on 2.5Ah battery, admit this is longer than I can hold it.

If you have an assortment of Ryobi batteries then I suspect you could trim for hours and hours.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #87  
I have never run the battery out on the weed Wacker. Chain saw? Yes. I will run out of gas well before the 2Ah battery will. My weed wacker does not draw much, so that will last more than 2 hours. I have two batteries, but never need more than one for those tasks.

I think if you need to do more than 3-4 hours of continuous weed wacking, you are either doing it commercially, or using the wrong tool (or solution).
You need to work on my property….bring some extra batteries, lol

Mike

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #88  
I use the M18 string trimmer with 3 8AH batteries.
Lasts me a few hours to do 600 feet of road, both sides.
600 feet of frontage, 1 side.
Next day I do all the garden beds and around the house.
I have two fast chargers and a few 5AH batteries to cover any gaps and I also use the 5AH on the blower.

Also use these batteries on the pole saw (same head as weed wacker).

Use .095 string, if I need to go bigger than fs110 comes out with the brush blade.
Both get used on trails during the season.

I would still go with a decent gas pole saw if starting again, but the trimmer does a great job on the few thousand feet of grasses and weeds I do in the 2 day cycle.

Batteries are big $$, but I have not had an M12 or M18 die on me yet.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #89  
EA2024FD-5B91-4D1D-BFEB-175A73FEC052.jpeg

Before…

E6699F91-EBD1-4700-8C72-DE853210A5C5.jpeg

After…

Here’s an example of the trimming/clearing I do on my property. I’ve only had success with my Stihl gas trimmer.

Mike

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #90  
I also have bought 20 volt batteries and an adapter for 18 volt tools, it works well. I suspect battery operated pole saw, leaf blower and string trimmer would work fine for me. A chainsaw I think ill always need gas powered.
Depends greatly on your situation.
Around my neck of the woods in northeast Mississippi our relatively narrow secondary roads are lined with trees, often < 12" DBH. These seem to often get blown over into the roads during windstorms.
Both my BIL and I tend to carry a small (12" to 14" bar) electric chain saw in our trucks. With the lithium batteries they hold the charge well and allowed us to cut up quickly trees fallen across our path without going back for a gas saw.
Probably near the same weight as a gas one; depends on size battery you use. Had to give away all my gas equipment about 10 years ago when I had an ICD put into my chest.
"depends on size battery you use. "
Another advantage for batteries - I find it tiresome to carry heavy tools for small jobs.
By having small and big batteries I can choose my weight some.
View attachment 788678
Before…

View attachment 788680
After…

Here’s an example of the trimming/clearing I do on my property. I’ve only had success with my Stihl gas trimmer.

Mike
Did you note the OP wrote:
My use is semi-light and seasonal.