Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #91  
   / Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #93  
^^^^
Most of my impact wrenches are battery ;)

Mike

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #94  
I have never bought a trimmer that didn't have a solid steel shaft instead of a cable.
When I run my trimmer, I use a 10 saw blade to cut brush.
I don't need a flex cable breaking while cutting brush / small trees.
I have Never had a solid shaft break.
I have had friends with flex cables that have broken

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #95  
...and it won't break your wallet either. I believe it comes with a steel scratcher blade as well.

230 bucks is about half what a comparable Stihl costs.
No it's not. The straight shaft still isnt $460..in fact is $10 more than your $230 echo.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #96  
My FS110 was well over $400 with handlebars.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #97  
I use a Stihl cordless trimmer. I'll never buy another.
I trim around the house, barn, raised beds, ponds, up buy the road, all on one battery. Plenty of power and easy to reload with string.

Dave

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #98  
I use a Stihl cordless trimmer. I'll never buy another.
I trim around the house, barn, raised beds, ponds, up buy the road, all on one battery. Plenty of power and easy to reload with string.
Early in the battery revolution I looked at Stihl and was turned off in how many different incompatible batteries their tools used.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #99  
Early in the battery revolution I looked at Stihl and was turned off in how many different incompatible batteries their tools used.
Never had that problem. My batteries also power the chain saw, and push mower. I've had them for many years.

Dave

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #100  
Not to derail this, but is there a reason you want gas? I switched to a Dewalt 20 volt and would never go back to a gas unit. It seems to be one of the most appropriate uses of battery power for lawn equipment.
I have the Dewalt 20V trimmer and have used it for several years now. It's nowhere near as powerful as my gas trimmer, which is a fairly old Deere model that isn't particularly 'high end'. It works fine if I'm trimming plain grass that isn't too high or too 'deep' (i.e. grass along the edge of the shed... fine; but trimming up 3' wide patch of 18" tall weeds... no way). It doesn't do well at all for thick, tall grass or denser stuff like suckers growing at the base of a maple tree, milkweed, etc. It also won't let me use string that is very long (cutter is pretty 'close' to head), probably because of power issues.

I do appreciate that I don't have to mess with mixing fuel and the challenges of an infrequently used 2 stroke engine, but until battery power and runtime increases I'll not give up a gas trimmer entirely. I need a trimmer that can cut 1/4" tree saplings or run a blade to chew through the thick, tall weeds I get to only a few times a summer.