Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #141  
Some people use more serious string widths that won't go into a feeder head.
string466.jpg

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #142  
Did a search on this thread but didn't see a mention of the straight shaft bike handle 4 stroke Honda UMK435U

I replaced two aging Husky 2 strokes (both top of the line when new) with a new UMK 435U mainly because the 2 stroke exhaust smell was making me feel sick, and hoping for more grunt for clearing and making walking tracks on a large property.

The Honda is a joy to use, no need to be constantly tweaking the throttle to keep the motor screaming at peak rpm, just let it hum along, and no noticable fumes.

Liked it so much and found another really cheap that needed a new gearbox - previous owner didn't know they were to be greased occasionally:)

When doing big jobs it's very handy to have two brushcutters, one with a metal blade, the other with line.

Apart from clearing tracks there's some parts of our patch which are steep and rocky, can't use any other type of tool to clear.

https:/www.tinyurl.com/pb7hj/Mowers/FrontApronBeforeAndAfter.html

Sorry, can't seem to find a way to make this into a link....

Last edited:
   / Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #143  
Have not seen Honda Brush trimmers for some time at the power tool shop… maybe not CARB compliant?

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #144  
I have two Echo trimmers, a 2 stroke straight shaft and a 4 stroke wheeled trimmer. Both are excellent, but for you purposes and issues with a 2 stroke, the wheeled trimmer will work better except for the real steep areas.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #145  
If the ground is flat, the two wheel versions can even clobber kudzu. The heavy string will shred the blazes out of it. It is hard on the string. A hillside will wear you out because there aren’t any self propelled versions I know of.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #146  
Have not seen Honda Brush trimmers for some time at the power tool shop… maybe not CARB compliant?
IIRC Honda has announced an exit from this market? No more mowers either.

”According to a recent press release, Honda notified its power equipment dealers in October 2022, informing them that it would stop manufacturing lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment effective September 2023.”

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #147  
Yep… we are special… years of demanding special accommodations to sell in California market and Honda days maybe no more?

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #148  
Think of all the products that have the Calif. mandated warning that they contain or produce something known to cause reproductive harm even though they are being sold in another state. I don't need another gas ZTR at the moment, but sometimes I think I should buy one now to have later.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #149  
IIRC Honda has announced an exit from this market? No more mowers either.

”According to a recent press release, Honda notified its power equipment dealers in October 2022, informing them that it would stop manufacturing lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment effective September 2023.”
We used Honda trimmers for years owned by a club. They were OK but heavy but when I went to buy my own, we got Echo's. Now I'm switching over to Stihl. None are perfect.