Gas cans - really

/ Gas cans - really #91  
I cannot believe that people are saying that plastic fuel containers are great, I'm 50 years old and I'm sick of everything being made out of plastic, it cracks, leaks, breaks, expands. Can people honestly say that plastic is good, every consumer product that is made out of plastic fails, and we the consumer keep getting ripped off. I can't tell you how many household items I throw in the trash every year that's made out of plastic that fails. These Just rite containers work perfect, I just filled up three today, and had them in back of my jeep and they did not leak one drop and I could not smell any fumes, and they pour perfect and you can control the flow. So please, enough with the plastic is great stories, I'm not buying it.

There are a lot of things that are done out of plastic that cannot be done with metals - at least not cost effectively. There are many things that are much better out of plastic but each material has its negatives. All automotive gas tanks changed to plastic 20 years ago because of permeation - hydrocarbon leakage through the material. With plastics they were able to put a barrier layer into the wall of the tank to significantly reduce the permeation. it still amazes me today that our gas 'cans' are not multi-layer for this same reason.

/ Gas cans - really
I cannot believe that people are saying that plastic fuel containers are great, I'm 50 years old and I'm sick of everything being made out of plastic, it cracks, leaks, breaks, expands. Can people honestly say that plastic is good, every consumer product that is made out of plastic fails, and we the consumer keep getting ripped off. I can't tell you how many household items I throw in the trash every year that's made out of plastic that fails. These Just rite containers work perfect, I just filled up three today, and had them in back of my jeep and they did not leak one drop and I could not smell any fumes, and they pour perfect and you can control the flow. So please, enough with the plastic is great stories, I'm not buying it.

I think you are being rather ridiculous if you stop and read these posts. There are people here with plastic cans that are decades old and still working.

I have two JustRite cans myself and BOTH lead around the pour spout. I only put 4.5 gals in them when I fill them because they will leak all over my truck in the 2 mile ride home. The fumes are bad enough that I would never take them in the wife's Escape. They go only in the back of the pick up where they can leak fumes all they want. But they are still good cans, just not ideal.

I started this thread, not because I was looking for metal cans per se, but because I want better pour spouts than what I see in the cans on shelves in most stores now. I didn't know about the flexhose JustRite cans until then. They might be what I end up with, but someone in this thread noted that they too can leak in the flex part.

I just saw a video yesterday with a 15 or 20 yr old Dolomar PLASTIC chainsaw can that was just about ideal. Being moulded of plastic, it had tank for chain oil and a tank for gas that were all part of the same unit. Looked slick and the owner clearly liked it. No way you could make that from metal at a reasonable price.

/ Gas cans - really #93  
Musdalen, I believe you nailed it! :thumbsup:

I guard my old plastic gas cans (vented/with rigged spouts) like gold. A couple of which are 25+ years old. Five dollars for a 5 gallon can, less when they were on sale, by the way.

Catman8, you don't have to buy anything. Those of us who like plastic gas cans are just sharing our actual experience and what we about them. No need to get upset because you have a different opinion of plastic gas cans. :confused3:

/ Gas cans - really #94  
So if one is using ultra-low sulfur fuel vs. the higher sulfur content off-road diesel, that may make a big difference as to how the galvanized fuel container reacts?

Offroad diesel is identical to on-road diesel but with red dye added. Both are ULSD.

/ Gas cans - really #95  
I use 5 - 5 gal yellow plastic TSC cans. I leave the generic spout on, simply because it keeps the diesel in the can.

When I fill the tractor, I use one of the yellow funnels that attach directly to the can. I would highly recommend it. It makes filling as fast as you can pour from the can. Just switch it from can to can as you go.

s-l1600.jpg

Eagle Safety Gas Can Replacement Funnel Made in USA | eBay

IMG_3318.JPG

/ Gas cans - really
The heck with the cans, I like those dogs!!!

I'll look around for that funnel too. Looks like the cat's meow actually.

/ Gas cans - really #99  
I don't know if you can get these anymore but I have four and they are great. I have the original GI - 5 gallon - cans and a simple steel flex nozzle. You might look in one of those GI surplus stores.

HF used to sell metal jerry cans. I never checked what spout they had, but the cans looked good anyway.

/ Gas cans - really #100  
Eagle class II safety cans - really

I'm a bit surprised of the plastic fuel cans following we have here. :D Nonetheless, here are the reasonably priced Eagle steel cans we use, and the plus side of them is they don't leak. We have many more cans than whats pictured here. These get carried on machines and occasionally do fall out. :eek: That is why some are dented as seen in the group shot. No they are not perfect but at $60 each, they are good enough for us kids. They've worked well enough, I purchase one for home use. I should add, we do beat the snot out of them here and we must have these flex spouts.

Attachments

• IMG_5017.jpg
    IMG_5017.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 215