Gas cans - really

/ Gas cans - really #72  
Trust me, stay away from plastic, it's junk, expands, and is dangerous. You will be replacing plastic very soon. These cans are awesome. Bought these from Amazon.

View attachment 499430

I have two gas and one kerosene plastic cans that are nearing 20 years old. If you keep them out of the sun, they last OK. I don't know about the danger side of it. Would like to know more.

/ Gas cans - really #73  
I'm getting the metal can - no more plastic.

/ Gas cans - really #74  
We've been using this very same, class II safety cans. They work great and should last for years. Here it is on Amazon

Justrite 72523 AccuFlow 5 Gallon, 11.75" OD x 17.5" H Galvanized Steel Type II Yellow Safety Can With 1" Flexible Spout: Lawn And Garden Tool Gas Cans: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Trust me, stay away from plastic, it's junk, expands, and is dangerous. You will be replacing plastic very soon. These cans are awesome. Bought these from Amazon.

View attachment 499430

/ Gas cans - really #75  
   / Gas cans - really #76  
These class II steel cans do cost more, but the plastic ones that last a few years and leak all along, just isn't worth it in my book. We have around 10 Justrite cans here. They're not perfect but pretty darn good.

/ Gas cans - really #77  
Hey, most important is that fuel should only be in YELLOW containers as this is a gov't standard of some sort.
Jail time could result.
My fuel somehow does not know about this regulation and I'm scared of going to jail.(tractors don't do jail)
Sort of like only tinted stove oil is safe in a tractor, ( but my tractor is stupid as it runs just fine).

Have you any references for that statement?

The closest I could find quickly only referenced flammable fuel in Wisconsin.
CONTAINER IDENTIFICATION FOR PETROLEUM PRODUCTS
Section 168.11 of the Wisconsin Statutes provides that:
(1) All devices used for drawing products of petroleum from storage containers at filling
stations, garages or other places where such products are sold or offered for sale
shall be marked or labeled in a conspicuous place and in a conspicuous manner with
the name and the grades of the product of petroleum being dispensed.
(2) No person may deliver, place, receive or store in any visible container any gasoline;
any product of petroleum, regardless of name, meeting the gasoline specifications
prescribed by the department under s.168.04; or any product of petroleum commonly
or commercially used as a fuel in a spark-ignition internal combustion engine or as a
fuel for any appliance or device if such product of petroleum has a flash point of less
than 100ー F.
when tested in the Tagliabue closed cup tester unless the container is
constructed of sound metal or of equally sound nonflammable material meeting the
requirements of the department's flammable and combustible liquids code; is
substantially a bright red color
; and has the common name of the product clearly
labeled or painted on it.

/ Gas cans - really #78  
I thought diesel fuel and galvanized cans was a no no?

Last edited:
   / Gas cans - really #79  
EZ-pour is NOT the answer. They are super thin, if you bend the hose at the corrugations, it's too stiff and tweaks the collar seal and it leaks. I've had it pop out of the collar, dumping gas all over. It's kind of amazing how they can save just a few pennies on plastic. That important sealing area is the thinnest section on the entire spout. Lame. Maybe OK for water, but not for any fuel.

EZ-pour is just another type of "fuel spiller". It makes you happy for a little while but then you realize it still takes three hands.

EZ-pour shows you how badly we STILL need a good solution. I would love any can that will pour slowly if I want it slow, and fast if I want it fast. How can this be so difficult?