Furnace options

/ Furnace options #21  
Hit the unit with a mower?!?

Who could possibly make that mistake?

MoKelly
I've got pictures, just need to find them LOL

Lots of people, particularly kids new to riding.

I'm lucky enough that the grade around my house along with some shrubs pretty much makes it pretty much impossible to nail anthing, even if I didn't have a "box" set up around the units.

Thing is, what people forget is your outdoor unit has particular clearances for air rotation which can become important if the unit is burried in "shrubs". Kind of "let's hide the outdoor unit so you can't actually see it" issue.

/ Furnace options #22  
I've got pictures, just need to find them LOL

Lots of people, particularly kids new to riding.

I'm lucky enough that the grade around my house along with some shrubs pretty much makes it pretty much impossible to nail anthing, even if I didn't have a "box" set up around the units.

Thing is, what people forget is your outdoor unit has particular clearances for air rotation which can become important if the unit is burried in "shrubs". Kind of "let's hide the outdoor unit so you can't actually see it" issue.

Yea - I’ve got pictures as well. Not one of my better moments!

MoKelly

/ Furnace options #23  
So we are about a year out from moving onto our land. We have NG pipelines on the property, but apparently that does not mean we can get access to NG.
Gas companies do not like farm taps and will try to discourage you from getting one. I have a natural gas pipeline that crosses my property and was able to get a farm tap.

It would be worth a trip to the court house to see what the original easement says. In my case the easement from the 30's stated if they crossed your property you were entitled to a farm tap.

Don't take the word of the gas company, the real estate agent or any other backyard lawyers. See what the original document says and then go from there.

Doug in SW IA

/ Furnace options
@Sigarms. Ok, so here is a shot of our units in the city and the thermostat.

Attachments

• 20210825_184115.jpg
    20210825_184115.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 20210825_183605.jpg
    20210825_183605.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 122
   / Furnace options #25  
Maybe, but I use the flames to char peppers and similar techniques that don't work on induction. Gas also works when the power is out.
Be careful what you buy for appliances. My gas oven & range (put in in the 80's) will light with a match if the power is out. Some newer ones have a "safety" feature and require the electricity to be on.

/ Furnace options
Be careful what you buy for appliances. My gas oven & range (put in in the 80's) will light with a match if the power is out. Some newer ones have a "safety" feature and require the electricity to be on.
Thanks, I have a new one we put in a few years ago. I will buy the same for the new house. Once I get what I like, I stick with it.

/ Furnace options #28  
@Sigarms. Ok, so here is a shot of our units in the city and the thermostat.
2 seperate systems? One Trane and the other looks like a Goodman?

Guess the tstat would be a communicating Trane XL1050? (Trane I don't care for per a number of reasons, but still great equipment when installed correctly)

You next system, don't buy anything "communicating" (proprietary to the manufacturer) and just get a good Honeywell, Aprialaire or Ecobee thermostat that anyone can buy. You can generally go 2 stage compressor, 2 stage gas valve with most manufacturers without getting into a communicating thermostat.

/ Furnace options
Thanks. Two systems are pretty common here. Big one for the main floor, little one for upstairs. You have a good eye. Is the Trane a variable speed? The thermostat 'came with' the Trane. The Goodman runs on its own thermostat.

/ Furnace options #30  
Thanks. Two systems are pretty common here. Big one for the main floor, little one for upstairs. You have a good eye. Is the Trane a variable speed? The thermostat 'came with' the Trane. The Goodman runs on its own thermostat.
What's funny is I didn't open the pics when responding earlier when I commented. Just surfing between downloading some documents.

Looking at the pic now, you got the TOP end line, variable speed compressor, and no doubt a variable speed constant airflow blower motor in your furnace, most likely two stage as well (if not fully modulating).

Yes, two systems can be comon here as well (but you can zone two levels with one system as well pretty good IMO if laid out right).

Thing is, you had to pay a pretty penny for that 20 SEER system. The way it's laid on the ground, you're only asking to hit it. Point being I'm surprised they didn't box it off like Ken did in his pic.

Just curious if the house came with that equipment or it was sold to you as a retrofit? For that kind of system (Trane 20 SEER), just surprised they didn't explain exactly what you were getting.

Kind of surprised by the Goodman next to it as well. Kind of like night and day per price point of install, but over time, the Goodman will be a lot cheaper to fix when it needs it ;) (although Goodman can seem to "weather" faster on their outdoor units than some others from my experience).

I believe Ken can tell you, after a while, it's pretty easy to pick out all the different manufacturers per thier outdoor units, even to the point when I see a Maratherm unit, I know it's made by Carrier LOL

Thing is, the longevity of a system has nothing to do with brand name IMO, but the person / company installing it makes all the world in the difference.

Only reason why I dislike proprietary communcation systems is sometimes the software updates from the manufacturer can be a pain in the arse fom time to time. That said, I would think you'd be very happy with that Trane system.

Not sure if it's good or bad that all my best friends work in the same industry as myself :unsure:

Last edited: