Furnace options

/ Furnace options #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
So we are about a year out from moving onto our land. We have NG pipelines on the property, but apparently that does not mean we can get access to NG. We are thinking the next best option in East Texas will be LP. We had fuel oil as a kid up north. Most of my adult life we have had NG, except a few years in Vegas with electric.

Any suggestions on the best way to heat the house? A/C is more important here but it does get below freezing once in a while.

We love our variable speed Trane we put in a few years ago in the city. That change alone saved us over $100 a month. Can those run on LP?
House will be about 2000 SF.

/ Furnace options #3  
1 - 80% AFUE (non condensing)
2 - 90% AFUE or higher (condensing)

1 - Fixed speed blower
2 - Variable speed constant torque (AKA X-13) blower
3 - Variable speed constant airflow (AKA variable speed) blower

1 - Single stage gas valve
2- Two stage gas valve
3 - Fully modulating gas valve

Above are pretty much your options when it comes to a gas furnaces. Pricing is lowest at 1, moves up in price when you go to #2 and #3. AFUE% over 90 can run from 90% up to 97% to 98% which also increases furnace price. I can't think of any line of residential furnace that will not run either on NG or LP (as mentioned, generally comes with a LP kit which adjusts the pressure and a different piston).

2,000 square feet tells you something, but the because this is new contruction, are you planning on having a load done on the house with the various insulation factors (which can make a huge difference in load capacities needed)?

Anyone can ballpark it for 3.5 ton but depending on how well it's insulated it could bring that size down easily.

How many floor levels?

Are you planning on one system, two systems or zoning?

One thing to consider is to be proactive in the building of the house to ensure you have more than enough space for your HVAC equipment along with ductwork, particularly 10-20 years after the house is built and you need to access your equipment.

If going with ductwork, the more hard metal pipe that is insulated by being wrapped (vs being lined), the better IMO, but that also will raise the price.

Using 3.5 ton for an example (purely a guess given the size on how guys "ball park" it), if on LP, a 2 stage will offer you more comfort on the heating side because at 3.5 ton, most furnace sizes will be in the 80-100k BTU range. A two stage gas valve (not a timed gas valve that automatically goes into 2nd stage if heating isn't met within a certain time frame irregardless of inside temp) will give you a low fire and high fire BTU rate, generally without the furnace having to be on second stage (high fire) rate.

One other thing to think about if going with a AC unit is to dual fuel it, using a heat pump outdoor unit with coil, and use a furnace for "back up" heat. This way, when you do need heat when it's less than 65F outside air, you can run your heat pump for heat down to a certain temperature (say 20F or 30F, and then your gas furnace comes on). This way, you get the best of both worlds, using electric for heat until it gets "very cold" and then you use your furnace to make it more comfortable on the heating side. If on LP, your burning a lot of fuel anytime that gas furnace comes on for heat, so why have it (gas furnace) running the majority of the time when it's 30F-60F outside and the heat pump can maintain the heat?

Also note, if you wait until January 1st 2023, 15 SEER will be the minimum SEER rating in the US, and unlike heat pumps, it will be illegal to install exisiting AC inventory after that date. 14 SEER Heat pumps will be allowed to use existing inventory after the January 1st date, and we're still wondering exactly how the government/local government is going to enforce that LOL

Last edited:
   / Furnace options #4  
Why not a heat pump or mini splits? Seems like an ideal application in your area. Forget the gas installation costs, and you need the electric supply anyway.

/ Furnace options #5  
We're total electric; a few years back we replaced our 40 year old electric unit with a heat pump. No major complaints, but I run it on auxiliary most of the Winter (electric resistance heat instead of heat pump heat) because the heat pump seems to run almost continuously during the colder weather and doesn't put out the heat. In any case, being built total electric, the electric company gave us a break on rates, so that has not been a problem, at least since we added the 8" of insulation in the attic.

/ Furnace options #6  
Why not a heat pump or mini splits? Seems like an ideal application in your area. Forget the gas installation costs, and you need the electric supply anyway.
1 - Why I mentioned dual fuel. Best of both worlds with heat pump and gas at a minimal price increase with a gas furnace vs a air handler.

2 - Although I'm very pro mini split for certain applications, at 2000 square feet, you're probably at least looking at 5 indoor heads. In the long run, with service and maintence taken into account over the years along with the fact of the pricing to ensure that you have enough heat for the possible low temps using the correct mini split equipment, most likely cheaper doing a convention split system with ductwork.

/ Furnace options #7  
Is geothermal an option down in Texas. The ac side of geothermal works well and saves in really hot weather. I did some research when we put geo in and NG was usually a good choice. We had LP before and it depends on the price of LP but it can get pricey. Of course heating in Texas will be less than Illinois.

/ Furnace options
We will definitely have gas. I am a convert to a gas cook top. Same with water heater. Gas is way more effective than electricity and relatively cheap here in Texas.
The house will essentially be a 40x50 rectangle. One story. We are still in the design phase, haven't finalized choosing a builder.
Avg. Lows are above freezing. Excluding the 2021 anomaly, the record low is 11. It got to -3 back in Feb. In Texas, even North Texas AC is way more important than heat. Where I grew up, the lows in winter were about 30 degrees lower.

Doesn't a heat pump need open area to be buried? We will not have much open land at all. Trees and more trees.

I prefer a well insulated house to limit sticker shock in summer.

/ Furnace options #9  
Doesn't a heat pump need open area to be buried? We will not have much open land at all. Trees and more trees.
I would guess you're refering to a geothermal system?

A heat pump looks EXACTLY like your AC unit, except when you look inside the unit, it has a reversing valve whereas an AC unit does not.

/ Furnace options #10  
I thought I saw where they can do geothermal in a small area by going deep like a well.