Oil & Fuel Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video)

/ Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video) #42  
Thanks for posting the videos. I'm baffled. Can injector knock sound like that?

Winston, I had a similar knock in the YM240 after I bought it. (And it hadn't been used much, for years). The knock was while cranking and before it fired off, cold. The sound appeared cranking with compression released and no throttle at all, or, when spinning it with half throttle then letting go of the compression release - my technique for starting. The sound was the same under all of these varying conditions.

My best guess at the description of the sound was there was a cam somewhere raising a lifter that stuck up, then fell with a clatter. But not likely in the valve train because it never ran like a valve hung open. And it couldn't be in the injector pump because no lift there at zero throttle, right? I never did figure it out and it went away after I got some hours on the tractor.

His clank sounds louder but mine was similar and an even sharper instantaneous sound.

Dunno if this adds anything to the conversation but someone might recognize what is causing his sound, and mine.

Last edited:
   / Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video) #43  
I sent you an email.. its obvious what the problem is..

/ Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video) #45  
The first pictures & videos were of a stuck pump.. now he cleaned it up.. so the same crap fuel that was in the pump is in the injectors & stuck or sticking them..

/ Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video) #46  
Is there a clean filter on this tractor? How are you getting crap into your pump?

/ Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video)
Is there a clean filter on this tractor? How are you getting crap into your pump?

It does have a new filter on it, and the old one wasn't really dirty. There were little black specs in the bottom of the bowl that had settled.

So a full rundown of how I got here:

Back in April I pulled the tractor out to cut the field. I got about 30 min in of cutting when I hit some thick stuff with the bush hog (or at least it seemed like that) and the tractor lost power and shut down.
I tried cranking and couldn't get it to crank. Checked the fuel level, and went ahead and got a new filter, thinking that may be it. After putting the new filter in I got it to crank but it got hot really fast and blew fluid out and filled the overflow container. I checked the radiator with the tractor running and there were bubbles in the fluid. From what I could tell it seemed exhaust was getting in the coolant. In fact, just running to move it under cover caused the radiator to get pressurized and blow out the overflow before it heated. So I got it under the cover and planned to replace the heat gasket thinking that was what it was.

Fast forward a month later, head gasket installed, things back together.

When I first cranked it, there was that knocking noise like I'm hearing today. I posed about it in this thread since I had the head off and all and wanted to make sure things sounded ok.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/379878-separating-head-block-ym3110d-replace.html

It worried me at first, so I shut it down. When I cranked it again, it started correctly.

I drove the tractor out and managed to get about 45 minutes of cutting in before it lost power again just like before. Just like before I pulled back on the throttle to overcome and it wouldn't and shut down and then wouldn't crank.

And of course that brings us to where we are today.

/ Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video) #48  
The first pictures & videos were of a stuck pump.. now he cleaned it up.. so the same crap fuel that was in the pump is in the injectors & stuck or sticking them..
So that clank is a stuck pump?

/ Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video) #49  
That's right I forgot about that...small black specs in the filter line.

So this is just after you got it. I wonder if the previous owner had this issue is why they replaced the filter then sold it? I wonder how old the one before that was? A decade, with a thousand gallons of trashy fuel through it?

/ Fuel dribbling at injector on Yanmar 3110D - bad injector pump? (video)
That's right I forgot about that...small black specs in the filter line.

So this is just after you got it. I wonder if the previous owner had this issue is why they replaced the filter then sold it? I wonder how old the one before that was? A decade, with a thousand gallons of trashy fuel through it?

I got the tractor last August of 2016, about a year ago. I ran it last summer and over the winter without issues. Last I'd used it before April was back in late January when I used it quite a bit to do some grading on my driveway and some cutting in prep for our baby coming in February. I didn't use it from the end of January until early April. I had the same filter on from last August when I replaced it this past April when I had that first issue.