Fuel additives

/ Fuel additives #21  
Actually, for me this is all moot now. Don't mean to get the conversation off track but I must treat all of my fuel now because it's coming out of my heating fuel tanks. Long story short, I have 550 gallons and I had heat pumps installed after I filled them up. Heating fuel is off road diesel in my state. I plan to add an additional lubricity additive on top of what I was already doing, just in case.

/ Fuel additives #22  
Actually, for me this is all moot now. Don't mean to get the conversation off track but I must treat all of my fuel now because it's coming out of my heating fuel tanks. Long story short, I have 550 gallons and I had heat pumps installed after I filled them up. Heating fuel is off road diesel in my state. I plan to add an additional lubricity additive on top of what I was already doing, just in case.
I don't know if you're working your tractors hard or not but I've noticed I get about a hour more work out of a 26L tank of summer diesel vs winter diesel. This is rototilling gardens in spring.

I think additives in your case are a good thing. You might also want to concider an algicide as diesel fuels stored for longer periods of time are susceptible to algae growth.

Last edited:
   / Fuel additives #23  
I don't know if you're working your tractors hard or not but I've noticed I get about a hour more work out of a 26L tank of summer diesel vs winter diesel. This is rototilling gardens in spring.

I think additives in your case are a good thing. You might also want to concider an algicide as diesel fuels stored for longer periods of time are susceptible to algae growth.
I just ordered a pump I can use to pump the fuel out of my basement through the fill pipe. I plan to add biocide to the tanks and then pump the fuel out and back in to the same tank for a while to get it mixed in. I figure I have enough fuel for heating and running the tractor to last me years as long as I can keep it from going bad.

/ Fuel additives #24  
I just ordered a pump I can use to pump the fuel out of my basement through the fill pipe. I plan to add biocide to the tanks and then pump the fuel out and back in to the same tank for a while to get it mixed in. I figure I have enough fuel for heating and running the tractor to last me years as long as I can keep it from going bad.
At least put some in a jar so you can get a good look at before using.

/ Fuel additives #25  
I’m not a big YouTube fan but someone posted a link to Project Farm‘s test on anti gel additives. It’s what has been suggested, he put fuel in a freezer using different additives. I’ve had gelling issues in the past but it was still an eye opener.

Im lucky, when mine has gelled up in the past it still ran well enough to get it in my shop, but just barely.

/ Fuel additives #26  
Will a gelled up diesel fuel turn back to liquid when the machine finally warms up on its own? Just wondering? I guess a tractor that sat all winter with gelled diesel fuel would be good to go when the temps came back up. ???

/ Fuel additives #27  
Last winter After reading about a bunch of folks on this forum having gelling issues I bought my first one quart white bottle of power service , it was on sale for $9 , I really have no idea if it helped anything or not but it did make me feel better LOL, one bottle is supposed to treat 100 gallons, might buy another bottle when this one is used up but I see the price has gone up a lot.

/ Fuel additives #28  
Will a gelled up diesel fuel turn back to liquid when the machine finally warms up on its own?
Yes. From what I understand the fuel gells because the wax in the fuel sticks together under a certain temperature. Apparently what antigell does is coat the wax particles so they can't stick together.

/ Fuel additives #29  
But, does the gelled fuel dissolve if the tractor sets unused until the ambient temperature rises sufficiently? I'm speaking of gelled diesel fuel that has not been treated with an antigel.

Whence it would be safe to start the tractor.

Last edited:
   / Fuel additives #30  
Yes, the gelled fuel will dissolve and go back into suspension. It may take the fuel getting up to around 40-45F before it does. And if you have run the equipment and packed the filter with paraffin, nope. Some solvents can dissolve the paraffin in a filter and then a filter can be flushed and purged of that solvent before trying to reuse it.