Front wheel bearings failed L5740

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #81  
What a good thread. Thanks to all for such good discussion.

But now it has me wondering about the bearings on our M59. Just how similar are the L and M series front axles?
The M59 and other M series are all quite a bit heavier tractors with a larger loader. So I assume the front axle is heavier as well.

I don't recall any threads about M series front axle failures. Is that because Is the design different, or because the component parts are larger... or...what?
rScotty

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #82  
I have replaced 2 bearings on my L4400 in 600 hrs. Same side.. Looks almost identical to your bearings. I did alot of heavy loader work in the past, and assume that caused it. In my service manual the retainer ring is 2 pieces I think.

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #83  
It's very clear that the ball bearings are not up to the task, even though most manufacturers insist on using them on the front axles.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to replace the original ball bearings with tapered roller bearings?

I was checking the ones on my tractor and I can easily find tapered roller bearings with the same OD, ID and width of the original ball bearings, so it should work fine. The shimming process may be a somewhat painful task, but using tapered roller bearings on the front axle would be pretty much a life time fix or thereabouts.

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740
I have not considered trying to find more heavy duty bearings. I will see if I can find the size and dimensions of the original bearings and see what I can find.

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #85  
Have definitely used and abused the front axles on B20, B26, M5030DT and M59 without bearing problems. After 25 years and nearly 4000 hours the hub seals on M5030 were replaced.

Installed a Kubota soft ride option on the M59 FEL. Greatly decrease the shock loading on the tractor when carrying loads should help with pin and bearing stress.

Taper roller bearings are usually installed pairs and are generally higher capacity.

On my airstream trailer the wheel bearings are marked hi-cap. Timken bearings cost a few $$ more than regular trailer bearings. A good bearing shop like motion industries should be able to give options for a bearing size. Best to let them see and measure your old bearing.

See folks talking of bearing failure 500-600 hours. Recommended oil change with gear oil option every 400 hours. Is there a correlation? It takes me days to get the correct amount of new oil in these newer tractors front axles.

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #86  
It's very clear that the ball bearings are not up to the task, even though most manufacturers insist on using them on the front axles.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to replace the original ball bearings with tapered roller bearings?

I was checking the ones on my tractor and I can easily find tapered roller bearings with the same OD, ID and width of the original ball bearings, so it should work fine. The shimming process may be a somewhat painful task, but using tapered roller bearings on the front axle would be pretty much a life time fix or thereabouts.
The bearings that are failing are tapered roller bearings.

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #87  
The bearings that are failing are tapered roller bearings.
The pictures from the OP, clearly show a common deep groove ball bearing. Post #3 from another poster also shows ball bearings and further on the thread, someone even posts the numbers of the bearing, which again, are just deep groove ball bearings.

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #88  
The pictures from the OP, clearly show a common deep groove ball bearing. Post #3 from another poster also shows ball bearings and further on the thread, someone even posts the numbers of the bearing, which again, are just deep groove ball bearings
After seeing the carnage loose "ball bearings" can do to the outer ring gear and vertical shaft pinion gear teeth on some of these front axle failures on TBN- have to wonder if the damage would be as bad using roller bearings instead.

It also seems that improved cage design / strength could actually make a positive difference on reducing these ball bearing failures...

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #89  
The pictures from the OP, clearly show a common deep groove ball bearing. Post #3 from another poster also shows ball bearings and further on the thread, someone even posts the numbers of the bearing, which again, are just deep groove ball bearings.
You are correct Sir, my mistake..

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #90  
just to make an update on this post from at least 1 years ago, yes, there is some more reliable bearing that can go in i use a 7-12 foot extendable push/pull snow bucket during winter and a hay ball clamps that weight 390kg during summer and tractor is at 4100h right now. nothing last longer then this one so far

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82