Front wheel bearings failed L5740

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #91  
heres the part number from SKF, and the direction they must face, because they have a direction otherwise you will destroy them in 10 feet lol look how the normal bearing one fail ! been there, done that a couple time before i switched to roller

Attachments

• direction.jpg
    direction.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • order.jpg
    order.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 108
  • shoot.jpg
    shoot.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • skf.jpg
    skf.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 104
   / Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #92  
heres the part number from SKF, and the direction they must face, because they have a direction otherwise you will destroy them in 10 feet lol look how the normal bearing one fail ! been there, done that a couple time before i switched to roller
Let us know how those work and last. Those bearings are meant for really high radial loads but not so much axial loads even though it will still handle those axial loads a little bit. Time and use will tell if it's a good alternative though.

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #93  
I am not familiar with the particular set up but usually tapered rollers are held in place by a nut and the nut is tightened or loosened to adjust the preload. if the stock ball bearings are held in by snap rings how are you adjusting preload and what keeps the load from trashing the snap ring and letting the two halves separate. maybe the orientation you mentions is what keeps them together by using the housings instead of the snap rings.

Any tips for shimming to the right backlash

I agree the design is crappy but I think I would rather replace a couple bearings than having to replace expensive housings if the bearings eat up the contact faces.

how many hours do you have on the new configuration?

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #94  
tractor is a bit over 4100hours right now, been running them since a couple years, so more then 900hours, i do around 300h by winter of plowing and snowblowing, and around 100 during summer with hay transport. so far so good no play or leaking seal since i done it. i was doing other type or bearing every years so i dont break down during winter because they lasted around 300-400h max, i think its my plow setup that is a bit heavy that wear the original bearing like crazy. but trust me, if you dont follow the direction of the bearing, it will shatter down in a minutes.

those one also cost 2 to 3x original bearing

Last edited:
   / Front wheel bearings failed L5740
Well.....I changed the right front bearings again today. This time, it had not completely failed, but I thought it was getting close.

A few days ago I raised the front wheels and the right side was a bit loose, so I ordered bearings and seals for one side. When we removed everything, it was all still intact, but the inner bearing was a bit worn.

The tractor now has 2146 hours. This is the 4th time I change wheel bearings on it.

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #96  
I’ve seen what people do with CUTs… materials are probably less the issue, than is the operator in many cases

/ Front wheel bearings failed L5740 #97  
I’ve seen what people do with CUTs… materials are probably less the issue, than is the operator in many cases
Ive had to do front axle bearings on a l3400, b2920 twice, l3540, and 2 l6060's. all of which I personally ran and maintained over the past 18 years. The use of ball bearings makes them very susceptible to failure from any amount of prolonged side loading or any contaminants in the axle whatsoever. I've become very careful but its still just a matter of time if you aren't operating on smooth level ground.