L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only?

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I have a 12 year old L5740 running the original R4's. I just got a flat on a front tire while plowing snow, and the tire came off the rim while I was moving up to a spot where I could park without blocking my own access. This tire has 2 patches already and I'm guessing one failed. I am going to replace this tire, and will do the other front now as well so they match. Ever since thie R14's came out I thought they looked like a good option for me. Any reason other than the higher cost not to change over the fronts while leaving the R4's on the rear? The diameter of a new R14 is only about 0.1" larger than a typical R4 in 10x16.5, I think. Is anyone running R14 Front and R4 rear? If so how do you like it?

20240317_105238.jpg

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #2  
Not sure I have a good feel for your needs or reasoning either one. I'd bet you will not find anyone else already running R-14s on either end of their tractor and R-4's on the other. Not clear why one would want to do that.

A few comments: 1) The small diameter difference in tires you mention is negligible. Don't worry about that part. I assume you know it is rolling radius that matters, not apparent radius/diameter. Still probably plenty close enough to be negligible. 2) Your existing tires do not look bad tread-wise. I would pull the tire (better yet take the whole rig -- i.e. 2 wheels and two tires still mounted to your best local tire shop) with the objective of finding out the real condition of the tire(s) first and second why not put tubes in them?? 3) I just do not hear anything so far that gives you a reason to go changing tires. Seems like considerable cash to acquire questionable, if any, improvement in operation.

What are you other operations beside snow handling that might shed light on the needs?

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #3  
I have a 12 year old L5740 running the original R4's. I just got a flat on a front tire while plowing snow, and the tire came off the rim while I was moving up to a spot where I could park without blocking my own access. This tire has 2 patches already and I'm guessing one failed. I am going to replace this tire, and will do the other front now as well so they match. Ever since thie R14's came out I thought they looked like a good option for me. Any reason other than the higher cost not to change over the fronts while leaving the R4's on the rear? The diameter of a new R14 is only about 0.1" larger than a typical R4 in 10x16.5, I think. Is anyone running R14 Front and R4 rear? If so how do you like it?

View attachment 857634
If you are using tire chains you will not notice any performance difference.

I would stay with the R4s as they are the most rugged.

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only?
The applications where I think I'd like R14 are summer working in forest with soft ground, and early or late season snow when I don't have chains on. I have to travel on our road occasionally which is hard packed dirt and rock, so I can't leave the chains on year-round.

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #5  
The applications where I think I'd like R14 are summer working in forest with soft ground, and early or late season snow when I don't have chains on. I have to travel on our road occasionally which is hard packed dirt and rock, so I can't leave the chains on year-round.
Those are good reasons for using R-14 tires. The question is whether it is worth it to you to buy 4 tires (all around not just front) for that improvement. Lot of cash and most people say NO unless you fall into some sort of deal or trade that reduces the cost. Just not worth it for most people.

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #6  
I'd actually like to have R14 tires on my tractor. They're supposed to be the compromise tire that offers better performance and traction and ride. I wouldn't hesitate to install them on the front only.

However, I'd only do that if I had to replace my front tires and I could buy them for a comparable price. Your tires look good. If here, I'd take the wheel off and take it to the local Ag COOP where they have a tire shop that does all kinds of tractor, implement, and truck tires. If those guys can patch it or put a tube in it it's a cheap fix. If they can't, they'll tell you right up front. Just guessing, but I'd say front R14 tires would probably cost $600 or so. (Is that close?) Lots of tread left. If it will hold a tube, you could fix it for $50.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #7  
Mine are starting to crack and I am contemplating doing the same thing r4 in the back and r14 in the front. glad to see that it is possible to get close to the same dia. I just haven't had any trouble with them not holding air so the "project" has not gotten off the ground yet.

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #8  
BKT's RT 747 AGRO INDUSTRIAL Tire for Agriculture, Industrial

I like mine and they ride better than the old R4 tires.

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #9  
I'm pretty much sure mfgs recommend have the same type on all 4 wheels.

You may be smarter than their engineers, but if you have a warranty claim, their lawyers don't have to be smart to beat yours.

Put what you like on all 4 wheels.

/ L5740 Changing R4 to R14 on front only? #10  
I'm pretty much sure mfgs recommend have the same type on all 4 wheels.

You may be smarter than their engineers, but if you have a warranty claim, their lawyers don't have to be smart to beat yours.

Put what you like on all 4 wheels.
Opinions are fine pro and con on mixing tire types, etc. Trying to justify an opinion by the vague modern day threat of lawyers taking some absurd position is not valid, in my opinion. For one thing, exactly what kind of "warrantee claim" would you expect to see based on having used 2 different tire types? None because that is absurd too.

Last edited: