Ballast Front weights?

/ Front weights? #1  

Kahuna

Silver Member
I have a 3320 and am considering a 5 foot Frontier rotary mower. I'm sure it will have sufficient power but am wondering if I will need any front weights? I have a loader but would rather not have it on for mowing work. Checking to see if anyone out there can give me any advice from experience. I thought about ballast in the front tires but not sure how much weight that would add.

/ Front weights? #2  
Kahuna said:
I have a 3320 and am considering a 5 foot Frontier rotary mower. I'm sure it will have sufficient power but am wondering if I will need any front weights? I have a loader but would rather not have it on for mowing work. Checking to see if anyone out there can give me any advice from experience. I thought about ballast in the front tires but not sure how much weight that would add.

By rotary mower, are you discussing a finishing mower or a rotary cutter (brush hog)?

I run a 5' finishing mower behind my 790 with no front weights. Your 3320 is about 700 lbs heavier then my 790, so you should not have any problems (going up slope with the mower raised might not work though). I'd try it without front weights first, if I were you.
A rotary cutter weighs a lot more then most finishing mowers and extends out quite a bit further too. You'll want front weights of some sort for transporting one of those...or leave your loader on.

Transporting either type of implement does not mean you have to raise your 3PH all the way up...just high enough to get the implement off the ground is quite adequate.

/ Front weights? #3  
Kahuna said:
Kahuna, I'd consider the front weights either way, they really help the 4wd at times, I don't have a bucket on mine and without the weights there's been times even the 4wd couldn't have got me out of some of the places I have to put mine in without them

/ Front weights? #4  
I use four of the 42# weights on the front of my 3320 when I don't have the loader on and using my lx5 cutter. I have to remove the loader to get my 3320 and my x495 on the trailer when I am going to mow and bushhog. You have to remove the weights to put the loader back on. I did not have any problems with the front lifting off the ground before the weights, but the front did not have enough weight to turn sharp. JC

/ Front weights? #5  
Wow good input on the front weights and turning. i am looking at a 3320 Cab and this kind of experienced based info is very good.