front end weights vs chains

/ front end weights vs chains #1  

ucforme

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Good morning, I have a Kubota BX2200 and a 3pt Frontier 54" snowblower (500 lbs.). I put approx. 200 lb of weight on front end abd it did almost nothing to help with steering or traction. Would I be better off with chains on front and back? I know the blower is a little big, but I got a hell of a deal on it. Thanks for ant input.

/ front end weights vs chains #2  
Chain up the rear, that should be all you need unless you have a very steep driveway with lots of ice. I live in the snowbelt, use a rear mounted blower and chains on the rear tires. Works great for me.

/ front end weights vs chains #3  
Front weight should help with steering problem

/ front end weights vs chains #4  
My first 6 years back to the UP of Michigan I put a 50" Buhler rear snowblower on the back of my B7100DT. Don't know how much it weighed, but it was heavy and made the front end very light.

I put a flat steel bumper on the front and hung two 150 lb chunks of steel on the bumper to keep the front end down so I could steer. Worked great and moved a lot of snow with it.

Here's the bumper, no pictures of the weights handy.

Attachments

• DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
   / front end weights vs chains #5  
Good morning, I have a Kubota BX2200 and a 3pt Frontier 54" snowblower (500 lbs.). I put approx. 200 lb of weight on front end abd it did almost nothing to help with steering or traction. Would I be better off with chains on front and back? I know the blower is a little big, but I got a hell of a deal on it. Thanks for ant input.
Yes. Chains make a huge difference.

/ front end weights vs chains #6  
Back in the day - when we actually got snow here. I would chain up all four wheels on my Ford 1700 4WD. It helped the front end go straight - the V-bar chains gave superior traction - the tractor rode like a COB.

Normally - I used only the rear blade. A few times we got deep snow and I used my 3-point blower.

I had a FEL with bucket on the tractor ALL the time.

Now - we get a "splash" of snow - lots of rain - muddy spots in my mile long gravel driveway.

The R-1 tires provided adequate traction about 90% of the time. The chains provided superior traction.

If you decide on chains - get HD chains that will do some good. V-bar or the European style with studs

/ front end weights vs chains #7  
Chains on front helps. So does studding all four tires.

/ front end weights vs chains
Thanks, ordered chains today.