Front Axle fluid Level

/ Front Axle fluid Level #1  

drjay9051

Gold Member
Morriston, Fl. 40 miles west of Ocala. More cows
Tractor
Kioti DK 40 HST
Doing fluid changes on my DK 40. Poorly written manual makes no mention of sight glass but My Kioti has one on the left front axle.

Should the white float be in the middle of the glass or at the top. I have heard that overfilling can result in blown seals.

I have put in a bit less than 2 gallons. Maybe run tractor a bit to allow gear oil to settle?

What is best (safest ) procedure?

Thanks for the help

/ Front Axle fluid Level #2  
I’m no expert, but any piece of equipment that has a sight glass, it’s understood that you need to leave a little airspace or bubble at the top of the sight glass. If no bubble is showing there’s no way to determine the level of oil. 🤷 Blowing seals would occur if a gear oil cavity was filled up to the max capacity with zero room for expansion due to heat…

/ Front Axle fluid Level
I’m no expert, but any piece of equipment that has a sight glass, it’s understood that you need to leave a little airspace or bubble at the top of the sight glass. If no bubble is showing there’s no way to determine the level of oil. 🤷 Blowing seals would occur if a gear oil cavity was filled up to the max capacity with zero room for expansion due to heat…
I appreciate your input. Lots for me to learn

/ Front Axle fluid Level #4  
Odd that there's a sight glass on the axle, but I agree that the fluid line should be visible in the window, otherwise if just shows that the axle is not underfilled.
Front axles I've serviced all had a check plug that is used to ensure a correct level.

/ Front Axle fluid Level #5  
Mine also has sight glass in the casting. I aim for middle. Always assumed middle. Manual states proper amount. LOL

/ Front Axle fluid Level #6  
My DK45 also has the site glass. I shoot for middle of the glass. It will appear to take less than the specified amount of oil, And then around 30-50 hours later you will look and the glass will be empty. then you add the remaining amount which brings the level back up, and that will about equal what is spec'd in the book. I always blamed it on the air pockets in the top of the final drives, which later amount to the other .3 gallon which gets added.

/ Front Axle fluid Level #7  
Mine has solved the sight glass situation. On the front axle - drain hole - fill hole - it's full at this level hole.