Framing nail gun questions

/ Framing nail gun questions #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I'm wanting to buy a framing nailer. I'm not a contractor so not looking to spend $300++ for a really good one. I'm helping a contractor at home here building a barn, he has a Porter Cable one and it's great.
Yesterday I was in Harbor Freight and I bought this Central Pneumatic one (I know...cheap)...but it was cheap, on clearance for $46, so I bought it and box of galvanized nails.
Problem is, nails bend as shown about 1" out. The HF "salesman" handed me a box of 21 deg., this nailer is 28*.
A friend gave me a big box of Paslode 30deg. nails, which work fine in this gun (I'm pointing to two I put in @ 120psi.).
After I called Home Depot, Lowes, etc., I'm confused and need advice.
1) that 21,28,30 deg. angle...is one "better"? I was told 30* is best as holds better.
2) ok to use these 30* nails in this 28* gun?
3) I was told nails are propriety to gun? Another said no. Another said plastic, wire tied and paper bound nails won't interchange?
4) should I keep this $46 one, or get a better one...it works great with Paslode nails.
5) keep gun, return 21* nails, get 28deg ones from HD or Lowes?
Thanks so much. It's very confusing. 20190713_171211.jpg20190713_171219.jpg20190713_171224.jpg20190713_171714.jpg

/ Framing nail gun questions #2  
That's the one I have but you need the 28 degree nails. I use item 36704 and they work fine. Keep it well oiled though, helps to keep the works smooth.

/ Framing nail gun questions #3  
   / Framing nail gun questions #4  
I dont use my frameing nailer too make a living , and I know Hitachi and Senco make top of the line ones. However I have owned the Rigid (HD) 21 degrees one for years and its never skipped a beat . Its been great !

Attachments

• Rigid_Framing_Nailer.jpg
    Rigid_Framing_Nailer.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 176
   / Framing nail gun questions #5  
This is the one I got when I bought my farm. Built a small tractor shed, and then framed out my hunting cabin with it. Use any 21 degree nail with a full head and it plastic collated. Good balance of price and function as far I as I can tell.

https://www.amazon.com/NuMax-SFR2190-Ergonomic-Lightweight-Pneumatic/dp/B0032JTDPO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=OJU7F5Q2Q2ZQ&keywords=numax+sfr2190+21+degree+framing+nailer&qid=1563055701&s=gateway&sprefix=numax%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-3

I have seen first hand that model in action . One of my sons has the exact same one . Seems like its alot of bang for the buck !

/ Framing nail gun questions #6  
Plastic, wire tied, and paper nails are NOT interchangeable. You need to get the right nails for the gun. The box on the nailer, or instruction manual should tell you what angle * you need. According to your pic, you need 28*. Take the 21* back, and get 28*. Just be sure to get the right binding for the nails.

/ Framing nail gun questions #7  
I dont use my frameing nailer too make a living , and I know Hitachi and Senco make top of the line ones. However I have owned the Rigid (HD) 21 degrees one for years and its never skipped a beat . Its been great !

I'm thinking to buy this nailer, and as the proud owner of 6 Ridgid finish nailers (18ga stapler, 15ga angled, 16ga straight - each owned twice due to theft) I shouldn't have to twist my own arm too hard. For me the difference between a great and crappy nail gun is immense. I also have Hitachi and Dewalt finish nailers that can't hold a candle to the Ridgid. I buy almost all of my corded/air tools refurbished from CPO outlets. They have this one for $115.

Factory Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR35RHF 3-1-2 in. Round-Head Framing Nailer

/ Framing nail gun questions #8  
I went through that a few weeks ago. I have a hardly used newer 28 deg HF nailer. Went to Georgia to build a garage and could not find 28 deg nails at HF, Lowes or Home Depot. My friends boy had a Hitachi 30 deg nailer so we used that for the most part. Just for the fun of it I loaded 30 deg nails in my 28 deg gun and if would jam I was going to throw it in the dumpster. But, 30 deg nails which are very plentiful worked great in my HF 28 deg nailer.

I was nailing overhead putting OSB on a ceiling and as I could stand on the ground and reach the ceiling I was elected to do the nailing. After half the ceiling was done using the Hitachi I decided to use my Harbor Freight. After about 20 nails I went back to the Hitachi. It was (seemed) a couple pounds lighted nad I could hold my arms overhead longer and easier with the lighter gun.

edit; I used paper collated nails on both nailers. HF and Lowes sell them.

/ Framing nail gun questions #9  
I have an oddball Milwaukee and it specifies 22* nails which are not really carried by local stores around here. In my research 21* works just fine as others who have bought this gun and suggested the same.

/ Framing nail gun questions #10  
I'm thinking to buy this nailer, and as the proud owner of 6 Ridgid finish nailers (18ga stapler, 15ga angled, 16ga straight - each owned twice due to theft) I shouldn't have to twist my own arm too hard. For me the difference between a great and crappy nail gun is immense. I also have Hitachi and Dewalt finish nailers that can't hold a candle to the Ridgid. I buy almost all of my corded/air tools refurbished from CPO outlets. They have this one for $115.

Factory Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR35RHF 3-1-2 in. Round-Head Framing Nailer

That looks like a great price . I bought mine(framer) maybe 7 years ago for like 200 bucks plus tax new if my memory serves me rite . Thanks for sharin your refurbished tool experience and the link .