Ford 4610 engine slight miss?

/ Ford 4610 engine slight miss? #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Looking for ideas on this. Engine cranks very fast but has a slight miss sensation that translates to vibration around 1600 rpms. I replaced injectors but didn't change anything. Does this sound like a pump or timing issue?

/ Ford 4610 engine slight miss? #2  
Sounds like a compression issue ,possibly a head gasket,burnt valve or injection pump issue...start with a compression test, or at.least Crack the injectors one at a time at 1600rpm when it's missing. .find the weak cylinder first. .I don't like throwing parts at a problem unless you have no other options ..

/ Ford 4610 engine slight miss?
Great input thank you. I'll provide more info on this also. When I bought this tractor it had been sitting for about 12 years. Had straight water in radiator which as you can image grew some nasty stuff causing the tractor to over heat first time I ran it. Unfortunately I think I ran it for a bit before realizing the issue. Secondly, I put a fuel stabilizer plus cleaner in the old fuel which may could have loosen up crap in the tank causing it to head through the fuel system. I did replace the fuel filter but have wondered if something made it to the pump or injectors. The injectors can be ruled out though as I have replaced them. Thank you for your post.

/ Ford 4610 engine slight miss? #4  
ps, when cracking injector lines, use a tool, and keep hands away from pressurized fuel.

Will this work to check compression? If so how do I use it? I'm assuming remove 1 injector at a time with the fuel turned off and turn her over is part of the equation???

image-176189317.jpg

image-1060312468.jpg

/ Ford 4610 engine slight miss? #8  
it's the right type of gauge ( diesel vs gas ).

whether it fits your injector hole or not, I can't say. RickB will probably know, maybee Ultradog. They work on more diesels than I do / have more experience with the later tractors.

it's the right type of gauge ( diesel vs gas ). whether it fits your injector hole or not, I can't say. RickB will probably know, maybee Ultradog. They work on more diesels than I do / have more experience with the later tractors.

Yeah that's my worry. Maybe there is a adapter that can be used if not. If anyone knows please let me know. Thank you

Yeah that's my worry. Maybe there is a adapter that can be used if not. If anyone knows please let me know. Thank you

RickB or Ultradog! Any thoughts?