Oil & Fuel Fluid Questions for Central NY State

/ Fluid Questions for Central NY State #11  
Hello, I appreciate the add to this group. Can someone share what the best Oil weight would be for upstate NY in the Cold Country? I just bought a Yanmar 276D and want to change the fluids before I use it. With colder days arriving soon I want to use a Fall/Winter weight Oil. Also I would like to know what most use for Hydraulic Fluid/Transmission Fluid. Lastly, what Filters should I use? Can someone provide part numbers? I will log them in my files. Thank you!
Hey there and welcome! I’m in northwestern PA so I also see similar cold temperatures. I have a YM2210D which is also a powershift. I switched to Schaefer Simplex Supreme for the transmission/hydraulic fluid. It’s a synthetic blend and my local NAPA gives me jobber pricing so it’s a good value for a really good fluid. I put the same in my Mahindra 1538 and it behaves much better in the winter. Hope this helps.

/ Fluid Questions for Central NY State
Thank you, I appreciate the reply. My local Farm supply store shows the same Oil filter for the Gas and Deisel. I will post what they have listed as maybe this can help others!

So there is no way to determine the year of my YM 276D? I guess it doesn't matter if the parts are the same throughout 81-91. Thanks again...

/ Fluid Questions for Central NY State #13  
Thank you, I appreciate the reply. My local Farm supply store shows the same Oil filter for the Gas and Deisel. I will post what they have listed as maybe this can help others!

So there is no way to determine the year of my YM 276D? I guess it doesn't matter if the parts are the same throughout 81-91. Thanks again...

http://www.nfhconnect.com/Home

Try this. NAPA site. Plug your tractor info in and you値l get the NAPA filter numbers. Worked for my 2210D. Imagine yours will be in there too. I like NAPA filters because I can get them locally and theyæ±*e made by WIX which are one of the best. I run 5-W40 full synthetic motor oil in both my Mahindra and Yanmar. Makes cranking in cold weather easier and still gives the 40 weight for warm weather. I won稚 get into a oil brand debate because there are many good oils out there but I run Amsoil. But almost anything available today will be way better than what was available when these tractors were designed. Just make sure youæ±*e using diesel rated oil and you値l be good.

/ Fluid Questions for Central NY State #14  
Hello, I appreciate the add to this group. Can someone share what the best Oil weight would be for upstate NY in the Cold Country? I just bought a Yanmar 276D and want to change the fluids before I use it. With colder days arriving soon I want to use a Fall/Winter weight Oil. Also I would like to know what most use for Hydraulic Fluid/Transmission Fluid. Lastly, what Filters should I use? Can someone provide part numbers? I will log them in my files. Thank you!

I use 15w40 too....in both my tractor and skidsteer. Thatç—´ what the nanuals call for. Never any winter issues (in the Syracuse region), even in sub zero temps. Just let it warm up though.

Tip - keep extra fuel filter around in case you have any fuel gelling issues. My tractor is prone to that. Skidsteer has never gelled up. I use the same fuel source for both and add Power Service to the fuel cans

Yes, thank you for the reply. I was hoping to hear from someone close by that experiences the same weather. I will try and price the Hydraulic fluid here at our Napa. I appreciate the help!

Thank you, I appreciate the reply. I only got one fuel filter but will pick up another one when I return the Oil filter. I'm hoping to find the right Oil filter locally for tomorrow as I need to get things done.

/ Fluid Questions for Central NY State #17  
For cold weather in WNY along the 2 Great Lakes, Yanmar shows 10W30 & John Deere lists 5W30 for our YM series engines.

I tried the 15W40 last winter. It was a real PAIN getting the engine going. If it had a oil pan heater, then maybe. By the end of December, I switched over to the 5W30 and it was a joy once again running the engine. I had to move so much snow.

Yanmar Self Check Tractor Maintenance doc 2/18/2014 Yanmar.com.jp for the YM series.
yanmar-oils.png

John Deere Diesel Maintenance for 650/850/950/1050 with Yanmar engines
yanmar-oils JD spec manual.png

/ Fluid Questions for Central NY State #18  

I have an Iseki from the 80's I was trying to find the yard on. Someone suggested checking the rear rims, they often have a date stamped in them.

/ Fluid Questions for Central NY State #19  
For cold weather in WNY along the 2 Great Lakes, Yanmar shows 10W30 & John Deere lists 5W30 for our YM series engines.

I tried the 15W40 last winter. It was a real PAIN getting the engine going. If it had a oil pan heater, then maybe. By the end of December, I switched over to the 5W30 and it was a joy once again running the engine. I had to move so much snow.

Yanmar Self Check Tractor Maintenance doc 2/18/2014 Yanmar.com.jp for the YM series.
View attachment 625580

John Deere Diesel Maintenance for 650/850/950/1050 with Yanmar engines
View attachment 625581

I tried finding the source for those upper temperatures/oil. Do not make sense. The engine upper operating temperature is set by the thermostat, typically 180-190 F. Think the charts are for air cooled engines.

I use 5w30 diesel rated oil in the JD and Isuzu from the VW dealership. Can get 0w30 M1 ESP (exhaust system protection) online for about the same price. When I run out of the Castrol 5w30, the M1 0w30 is what I plan to get.

Use 0w20 in the 3 gasoline engines.

Have 5w30 regular M1 for the air cooled engines.

Racing engines typically use 10w oils (I've read on forums), and they would get pretty hot. Think they do this for protection for max. performance without killing the engine right off the line.

Ralph

/ Fluid Questions for Central NY State #20  
I tried finding the source for those upper temperatures/oil. Do not make sense. The engine upper operating temperature is set by the thermostat, typically 180-190 F. Think the charts are for air cooled engines.

Ralph

Those charts are for liquid cooled engines. Look up the John Deere models on tractordata.com to verify for yourself.

I'm not a fan of SAE 30W straight. Thus, if you live in an area for temps hotter than 87F, the 15W40 on both charts is defined.

If you know your oils, you can do a syn 10W30 mixed with a zinc additive for engine protection. This would allow it to reach the hotter temps. The sny will not break down like dino.