flash back arrestor valves

/ flash back arrestor valves #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
finally installing flash back arrestor valves on oxy/acet torch. should have been done years ago
do you prefer the valves mounted on torch body, or those that attach to regulators? pros & cons?
local suppliers charge around $70+ for a set, as usual, i can get them on Amazon for much less. pros or cons to that as well?
thx in advance

/ flash back arrestor valves #2  
I use them on the torch end. I also got quick connects which are really sweet. Especialy if you have several torches.

/ flash back arrestor valves #3  
Some new torches (Victor for one) have flashback arrestors built into torch bodies....Many older torches don't...

My thought process is flashback arrestors at torch handle protect hoses and regulators.... Flashback arrestors at regulators only protect regulators and may make hoses "expendable" and may need for replacement if catastrophic flashback event occurs....

Dale

/ flash back arrestor valves #4  
It sound reasonable to put the Arrestors on the Torch end but the ones I got recommend mounting on the Tank end.

My Torches are Victor also and I think they are protected in the torch.

So I'm in the middle here, not sure what end is right, although I do see the logic of mounting the arrestor on the torch end of the hose.

/ flash back arrestor valves #5  
I guess basically, you have the fire at the torch end. I suppose your hoses could get burned through by accident. I can't say I ever saw any torch accidents. My worst was a faulty regulator blowing up a hose by over pressure only.

/ flash back arrestor valves #6  
Most torches have them/it built in. Typically the ones purchased protect the tank. If anything were to happen at the connections or hose you would be “unprotected” if they were added at the torch. My vote would be to install them at the tank.

/ flash back arrestor valves #7  
My torch does not have them available as an option (Victor 300) so I put the arrestors at the tank. I've seen torch hoses catch on fire. Only option is to shut off the tank and hope for the best. The hose is $50. My goal is to protect that acetylene tank. Flashback demo with torch explosions - YouTube

/ flash back arrestor valves
purchased med duty Smiths torch set in '71. they work as flawlessly as they did back then. do not have arrestor valves built in, etc. so will add them. per advice, i may install valves on both torch end & regs. many thanks for the advice, i've tempted fate long enough :)
btw very partial to Smiths. well machined, refined product. interestingly, they still produce the same model # for the cutting torch. thx again for the safety tips

/ flash back arrestor valves #9  
if you ever had a flashback at the torch, you'll appreciate how good it is to only have the gas in the torch ignite, rather than have the entire hose and regulator explode!.:eek:

/ flash back arrestor valves #10  
Also there are two version of flashback arrestors, one for torch end, one for regulator end, both are one way check valves, installed in wrong location you will get a no flow situation....IF FB arrestors have directional flow arrows, they always point toward torch tip...

Dale

Last edited: