Are prices like this everywhere?

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
I needed new tires on my 1995 F250 and Sams Club was the first place I looked because they usually have the best prices and the tire installation kit, including everything, is only $20 a tire. They were out of the size tires I needed and it would be 2 weeks to order them so I went online to Amazon and ordered 4 and got them in 2 days. Then I had to find a place to install them. I called 3 of the different shops I have used in the past. They all had the same price to install the tires, $250 plus tax! Finally I found a Mexican tire shop that only charged $100 to balance and install them and no charge for them to keep the old tires.

The truck ran a lot smoother with the new tires but not as smooth as when it was new so even though it only had 120,000 miles on it I thought about getting new shock absorbers. Checking online at Advance Auto Parts they had Monroes that met OEM specs for $36 each. But I didn't want to install them myself since I am now 77 and prefer to let others do my dirty jobs at times. I called around and every place wanted between $100 and $125 a shock to install them. In the past using hand tools I have changed these shocks in less than 30 minutes apiece but could have done it much faster on a lift with power tools. I decided not to get the shocks at his time. Maybe mine are still good.

Amazing that shops now charge $650 for labor only to change the tires and shocks.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #2  
That's typical in N.Texas. Judging by number of people engaged in leisure activities, most days look like Saturday. Many businesses have trouble finding help and are forced to pay premium to people who are willing to work. Due to shortage in workforce ,businesses can't handle what walks in so they continue raising prices. The average single head mini-split takes 4 hours to install and going labor cost is over $1k. I paid $3,700 for a new trailer in March 2020 and sold it July 2022 for $6,500 which was well below dealer price on same trailer.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #3  
I started doing my own maintenance whenever possible when I was young and couldn't afford having it done for me. I'm older now (76) and appalled at prices being charged so I continue doing much of my own - oil changes, shocks, brakes, etc. Tire rotations are free or $10 depending on where I go so I'll have that done. I do believe you can do better on pricing if you shop around a bit.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #4  
Local mechanics shop charges me $25 per tire to remive, mount, and balance a tire. I try to used tires off of Craigslist- good deals pop up every now and then from people that bought a new car and can’t use their old winter tires (I’m in the northeast).

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #6  
I have found that Discount Tire's prices are close to what I can get anywhere else. I buy the lifetime balancing. Also they have a 30 day ride and drive so that within that time if you don't like the tires they will exchange for free to another brand (minus the difference in cost).

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #7  
....... I called around and every place wanted between $100 and $125 a shock to install them. In the past using hand tools I have changed these shocks in less than 30 minutes apiece but could have done it much faster on a lift with power tools. .....
Yes, normal prices. We have been taking our Tesla to the service center for some warranty work. In the lobby there is a sign that says, 'Labor rates $195/hr' Just about exactly your $100 for half hour...........

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #8  
Local mechanics shop charges me $25 per tire to remive, mount, and balance a tire. I try to used tires off of Craigslist- good deals pop up every now and then from people that bought a new car and can’t use their old winter tires (I’m in the northeast).
Me too. I removed/changed/installed tires (from craigslist) myself and only had the local shop balance them for me - $40 plus tax for all 4.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #9  
Awhile back, I had a $2,300 quote for replacing the front bearings (The bearings themselves were pretty cheap, $250, IIRC). That caused me to set aside a Saturday to do it myself. With a floor jack, some stands and an impact wrench, I had both bearings off and back on again in 45 minutes. I have no idea why the shop price was so far out.

So, yes, prices are a bit weird between labor issues, supply chain misfires, local supply/market, and inflation. Regular gas is $6.06 at my low cost gas station here. I was in the Midwest recently where it was more like $3.40...

All the best,

Peter

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #10  
Bottom line is what ever people are willing to pay is the going price. We (I use the term loosely) are getting exactly what we deserve. If humans weren't by nature greedy, selfish, jealous and general horse's hind end toward one another barter clubs could solve the whole thing and set market prices where they should be. Seriously,residents within any given area have skill,training and ability to perform everything from taxes,auto repair and home repair to plowing snow but don't want to trade because they fear others might benefit unequally.
Here is a real life example of what I'm talking about. A close friend asked to borrow my trailer to haul scrap metal from his parent's farm to the recycle yard. I didn't have anything planed so I went along to help. As we were loading an old washing machine I noticed it had a gas engine and after taking a closer look, asked if I could have it. He asked if it had unusual value and I said I wasn't sure. He asked why I wanted it and I said I wasn't sure but simple thought it would be interesting to tinker with. He said he would just keep it and set it aside. He brought the machine up about 3 months later and I said I was no longer interested. Realizing the fallacy of his actions my friend apologized for how he reacted.

Last edited: