Are prices like this everywhere?

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #11  
^^ Toss in the government take & you have no choice but to raise prices. With the coming recession, businesses are prepping for no work and lean times. You have to make hay while the sun is shining or you're on the street as well. Yeah, barter would work nice, but my taxes only need to be done once a year, I need to eat, pay my mortgage, fund retirement, etc. all year long. I spent way too many years charging a "fair" price figuring that clients would remember & give me more work. Instead, they want to nickel & dime me on everything AND give work to the lowest bidder regardless of quality, responsiveness, or history.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #12  
I went in to a local shop yesterday to get a vehicle inspection and was told they were a month out, Businesses are closing every day here because they cant get workers, Even at 20 bucks an hr. I would like to know how these people are paying their bills, I am 63 and go to work every day doing remodeling, I still lay lots of flooring even with 2 replaced knees, Are people still getting Gov money or what.At lowes today a 5 gal bucket of quality paint was 310 dollars, Thats crazy,

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #13  
I decided to humor my wife and get our kitchen remodeled and redo the vaulted ceiling in the living room at the same time.
Lined up a contractor that had a helper and just gave and hourly rate it was quite reasonable but he was swamped so I had the spray foam operators remove the old suspended ceiling and spray foam it. Expensive but should have been worth it $6000 for 16x40 feet.
Then my original contractor bailed on me some health issues and just wasn't going to get to me till winter. Started looking for new contractors as I already had $15,000 of new Hickory custom cabinets ordered. We decided to go with a knotty pine ceiling started trying to get it done bids coming in at $6000 to $8000 just for the ceiling install I provided the material. The floors were going to be $3000 to $6000 again me providing material, installing the cabinets was $4000 to $6000 just to remove the old and install the new and then counter tops!!!!!!!!

Ended up finally found a young contractor with more reasonable pricing, they got the ceiling sheathed and then installed the knotty pin, $3000 plus a bit of electrical that needed to be done, now they are installing the cabinets after removing the old cabinets, removing the old drywall reworking more electrical plus doing some plumbing changes plus installing three kickspace heaters, thats going to be around $3000 to $3500. Then the flooring install is supposed to be around $800 plus a bit for some more plumbing changes.
So I'll be at around $8000 in labor which is close to what I had expected before starting this.

Took a long time to find contractors that are working for a reasonable rate, of course they are not running around in $70,000 pickups either.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #14  
I went in to a local shop yesterday to get a vehicle inspection and was told they were a month out, Businesses are closing every day here because they cant get workers, Even at 20 bucks an hr. I would like to know how these people are paying their bills, I am 63 and go to work every day doing remodeling, I still lay lots of flooring even with 2 replaced knees, Are people still getting Gov money or what.At lowes today a 5 gal bucket of quality paint was 310 dollars, Thats crazy,
There is no more Covid government money. Most people are working, but they have found other work that they prefer. It’s currently difficult to find workers in the trades. And that’s a huge problem because we need these services.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #15  
Local mechanics shop charges me $25 per tire to remive, mount, and balance a tire. I try to used tires off of Craigslist- good deals pop up every now and then from people that bought a new car and can’t use their old winter tires (I’m in the northeast).
I have found that in the long run, it’s just cheaper to buy tires at Discount Tire. Free rotations, balancing, and repairs for the life of the tires. Probably built into the purchase price, but their tires are competitively priced with other businesses.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #16  
I started doing my own maintenance whenever possible when I was young and couldn't afford having it done for me. I'm older now (76) and appalled at prices being charged so I continue doing much of my own - oil changes, shocks, brakes, etc. Tire rotations are free or $10 depending on where I go so I'll have that done. I do believe you can do better on pricing if you shop around a bit.

I don't get it either Even McDonalds can't get workers at $18 an hour here. Everywhere help wanted signs.

I gave up on the local tire shops and bought a lift, rim clamp tire machine, and electronic balancer.
Like the earlier poster, mail order the tires I want and just do it myself.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #17  
Just switched to balancing beads instead of balancing machine. Adds about $25 for 4 tires but it works. If you do plug or patch a tire (pretty common in the boonies) it does not need balancing again.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #18  
Just switched to balancing beads instead of balancing machine. Adds about $25 for 4 tires but it works. If you do plug or patch a tire (pretty common in the boonies) it does not need balancing again.

Use liquid balance in my truck tires. Works well. Never tried the beads. Did see some truckers try the sand style and had problems with the core leaking.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #19  
I buy kits that come with longer valve cores that seem to cure that problem. Ceramic beads.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #20  
Awhile back, I had a $2,300 quote for replacing the front bearings (The bearings themselves were pretty cheap, $250, IIRC). That caused me to set aside a Saturday to do it myself. With a floor jack, some stands and an impact wrench, I had both bearings off and back on again in 45 minutes. I have no idea why the shop price was so far out.

So, yes, prices are a bit weird between labor issues, supply chain misfires, local supply/market, and inflation. Regular gas is $6.06 at my low cost gas station here. I was in the Midwest recently where it was more like $3.40...

All the best,

Peter
It WAS $3.39 a couple days ago. Now its $3.69 again here :(