Fix'n to get a Tiller

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller #1  

Mtnmnstr

Bronze Member
Tractor
XR4145 & Farmall M
Looking at adding a tiller to the yard.
Currently i'm running a 3 turning plow and disking. I'm thinking a Tiller will speed up the process and get me the results I'm looking for.
I've searched the threads and found too many to read through. I'm thinking a 72" or 84" . King Kutter II is local and rated pretty good. Whats Y'all got?

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller #3  
I bought a monstrous unused heavy duty cat 1-2 tiller about 7' wide at auction for $1k.

Only problem I've had with it is needing to replace a couple bolts when a tine fell off first time I used it; I bought a bunch of extras, removed all the tines, put locktite on, and then put them all back on.

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller #4  
I have a Terraforce 62, They were rated pretty high when I researched early last year. I haven't used it a lot but it does work great with what I've done.

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller #5  
I rate 3 point tillers right up there with tractor backhoes., or should I say down there. Tractor backhoes are tops for uselessness on my list however.

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller #6  
I rate 3 point tillers right up there with tractor backhoes., or should I say down there. Tractor backhoes are tops for uselessness on my list however.
Not every one has the same needs, that's why there are SO many attachments available for tractors!

I use the backhoe on mine about 25% of the time, and when I need it, I sure am glad I have it!

As for the tiller, it's more in preparation for when we retire and have a large garden, but I can use it now for our little garden and to do some lawn leveling and amendments.

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller #7  
I have a bush hog brand 72". 32 pto hp handles it in my heavy clay. I still plow, skip the disc, pull a packer behind the tiller. Next to my sure stand seeder,my favorite attachment.

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller
For those who have a tiller, how do they handle roots and buried objects ?

King Kutter would be my last choice.
That's not helpful, Why do not like King Kutter?

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller #9  
For those who have a tiller, how do they handle roots and buried objects ?

That's not helpful, Why do not like King Kutter?
Because their assembly techniques aren't all that good. Sloppy welds and poor paint. You would be farther ahead with say a Great Plains or a similar heavy duty machine. I think if I were you, I'd peruse Facebook Marketplace or CL or even Tractor House for a used machine. None of them will have all that many hours on them anyway. Like snowblowers, used infrequently. If I was gonna buy one, that is what I'd do. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

/ Fix'n to get a Tiller #10  
I have a Titan UM-56 tiller. It's heavy duty and built in USA. It says 56" but its the same width as my tractor including the rear tires. Its got a clutch instead of shear pins.

I'm glad about the clutch. It's worked when I needed it to.

With your plow - cut your fresh patch with the plow then hit it again with the tiller you will have a beautiful garden patch ready to plant.

I think our big veggie garden (we have several) is about 150' x 40'

After my neighbor hit it with his JD 4030 and a 6 disc Moldboard Plow I tilled it all up 2x took me about a 1/2 hour going easy. That was compacted clay. With the Moldboard Plow it turned the grass upside down and I planted a cover crop on most of it and taters and beats first season. We still have a good supply in hand.

I have a 52hp tractor and when tilling I barley know its there. I gotta keep an eye on it in case a rock jams it up and locks up the drive shaft. I've smoked the clutch not watching but no problems. If it was a sheer pin I'd have broke it. I gotta big root stuck init.