Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery?

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #21  
I have a 1951 JD MT and it’s 6V, positive ground. The posts are diagonal to ea other and battery needs to go into battery tray only one way so cables can properly connect.

Ques: what would a 20% increase from 6V to 8V do to the tractors electrical system? I have a 2-popper w distributor (points & condenser), generator, cut out relay, starter but no lights. What about CCA’s size if i could go from 6 to 8V? The battery has to have the same profile/footprint to work too. If the ROI is better on 8V & no issues. I’d go w it.

Here she is:

Attachments

• AED69F3B-2346-42B9-9C27-E63DED51301E.jpeg
    AED69F3B-2346-42B9-9C27-E63DED51301E.jpeg
    831.2 KB · Views: 97
   / Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #22  
When I had a '41 International K2 pickup, my dad switched it an 8 volt. Used the original starter, generator, gauges, and lights. All he did was to adjust the voltage up to 8 volts. Made a difference in starting. BTY, it had a later SD220 ohv engine inplace of the original GRD214 flathead.

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #23  
I have a 1951 JD MT and it’s 6V, positive ground. The posts are diagonal to ea other and battery needs to go into battery tray only one way so cables can properly connect.

Ques: what would a 20% increase from 6V to 8V do to the tractors electrical system? I have a 2-popper w distributor (points & condenser), generator, cut out relay, starter but no lights. What about CCA’s size if i could go from 6 to 8V? The battery has to have the same profile/footprint to work too. If the ROI is better on 8V & no issues. I’d go w it.

Here she is:
Will require adjusting the voltage regulator to about 9 volts. Or just use an 8 volt Battery Tender maintainer if it is a occasionally used tractor (which I'm sure a JD M is).

CT

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #24  
I have a cut-out-relay and starter switch...from there, it integrates the starter, battery/s-plugs and distributor....what part would you install where for the 8V battery to work ? thanks again

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #25  
Years ago in the 70s, I had a 6V VW and a 12V radio I wanted to install. I installed a 12V battery and ran a big screw through the top center of the battery to get the 6V to start and run the VW. Worked but I don't remember how well the battery charging worked out.

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery?
Years ago in the 70s, I had a 6V VW and a 12V radio I wanted to install. I installed a 12V battery and ran a big screw through the top center of the battery to get the 6V to start and run the VW. Worked but I don't remember how well the battery charging worked out.
Can you explain that better? I know nothing about batteries so how do you run a big screw through the center of the battery and get 6V?

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #27  
I read somewhere once that at least some of those old 6V VW starters ran ok with 12V. Obviously, the lights and charging system would need to be updated...don't think the 6V ones had any electrical gauges.
Weren't the old VWs positive ground though? That would throw a wrench in keeping the old starter. I do recall seeing aftermarket car radios back in the 60s/early 70d that were switchable between + & - ground.

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #28  
"8 volt battery? You gotta be kidding. If 6 volt is rare then 8 volt is in the Smithsonian."

8 volt batteries are common.
Where are they used? Don't think I've ever seen one.

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #29  
This discussion got me looking, as I have 2 tractors which take six volts that I am trying to bring back into service. It seems like you are more apt to find a unicorn than a reasonable price on a 6 volt. The best option might be an optimum; it's going to be around $250, yet hopefully will last longer than a traditional lead acid battery. You can even get a vintage looking box to put it in... for another 90 bucks or so.

/ Finding a reasonably priced 6V tractor battery? #30  
This discussion got me looking, as I have 2 tractors which take six volts that I am trying to bring back into service. It seems like you are more apt to find a unicorn than a reasonable price on a 6 volt. The best option might be an optimum; it's going to be around $250, yet hopefully will last longer than a traditional lead acid battery. You can even get a vintage looking box to put it in... for another 90 bucks or so.
Tractor Supply Co has 6v battery for $109.99 last week when I was there.

CT