Finally Getting My Shop

/ Finally Getting My Shop #11  
Drywall? Do you plan on doing real work in it?

/ Finally Getting My Shop #12  
Very cool project, will be so great to have your own space. I echo the sink comments, just run a pipe into a bush, maybe some rocks underneath so it doesn't gouge. Don't forget a trap though! Also if you're going to be doing a fair amount of woodworking I can't recommend strongly enough to get dust collection in order before you start populating it with tools. For a long time I tried to do it with a shop vac, but when I switched to real dust collection it was night and day.

I used to live in Litchfield and I love that whole area. The reservoir in Barkhamsted is so beautiful! Unfortunately never got to spend too much time there except for "the back way to Bradley". Best of luck with the shop!

/ Finally Getting My Shop
Did not get as much done as I hoped today, spent too much time picking up supplies at Lowes. But I did get the horizontal supports in for the upper and lower cabinets. I was originally going to toe nail individual boards between the studs, but my father-in-law suggested notching them so I can run full length 2x4's for the supports. Used my HF multi tool to notch the studs and ran full length 2x4's for greater strength and holding power. The upper cabinets will start at the top of the window so the view is not obstructed.

_DSC8967.JPG

May not make much progress tomorrow as I found a guy selling new IBC firewood cages for $30 so I am going to pick up 12 of them. That'll take half the day, but I hope to start on the insulation tomorrow.

Graysonh, I live right near the Barkhamsted dam. My property butts up to reservoir property. Its nice knowing no one will ever develop the land around yours!

Creamer, what do you recommend for interior walls? I don't want to leave the paper side of the insulation exposed, too easy to rip and damage. I'm planning sheet rock mainly because it was free. My father-in-law had a dozen sheets left over from his addition, and he wanted to get it out of his basement. I wasn't planning on painting it a pastel color - it will be a working shop!

/ Finally Getting My Shop #14  
I prefer wood because then i can put screws into it to hang tools on and it doesn't get dinged when it gets hit near as easily. I would hate to have sheetrock behind my workbench it would look awful because I get into my work and at times things hit the wall - unintentionally but nevertheless there is still damage.

/ Finally Getting My Shop #15  
Yea but drywall is more fire resistant and easily repaired. Plus he has it FREE, that's a BIG plus in my book.

/ Finally Getting My Shop #16  
Materials are cheap. the labor to put it up and finish it and repair it is what is expensive - unless it is a show shop.

/ Finally Getting My Shop
I agree the wall behind the workbench should not be sheet rock. I am going to cover it with galvanized metal pegboard. It will give me 3'x12' of tool storage and protect the sheetrock behind the workbench.

Workshop Wall.jpg

/ Finally Getting My Shop #19  
Tough call between wood and drywall. Drywall is more work to do right (mud, sand, prime, paint) but white walls reflect more light and a bright shop in better in my opinion... not to mention cleaning. I like not to fasten to walls as my shop matures, I rearrange often so hard attachments end up not as permanent as I thought they would be.

/ Finally Getting My Shop #20  
Why did you install your outlets and face plates before your sheetrock? I always leave the wires in the box, and never do anything else unless I'm desperate for an outlet to use while still working on the wall. I wait until i'm done with the sheetrock and I've painted it before I install outlets and face plates.