Finally Getting My Shop

/ Finally Getting My Shop #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
I have a 2 1/2 car garage, and after many years of wishing, I am finally building a shop in the 1/2 section of the garage. The shop portion of the garage will be 8 feet wide and 21 feet long. The front 8 ft wall has a door into the shop. The 21 ft side wall has a window in the middle and the rear 8 ft wall has another window. I have ordered cabinets that cover 19.5 of the 21 ft wall. 3 six foot high double door chests, 6 upper cabinets, 2 lower cabinets with doors, 2 lower cabinets with drawers and 12 feet of stainless steel counter top. I am planning on installing 32" high galvanized steel pegboard between the counter top and upper cabinets. Here is what it will look like:

Shop Cabinets.jpg

Here is the garage after spending a day clearing it out and cleaning it up.

_DSC8961.JPG
_DSC8962.JPG

Here is my project list so far:

1. Clean out garage
2. Add additional electrical outlets (convert 2 existing outlets to 4 plug and add 2 more 4 plug outlets)
3. Add horizontal 2x6's at 32" and 86" to mount lower and upper cabinets to
4. Add insulation
5. Install sheetrock
6. Mud screw holes and seams
7. Prime and paint walls
8. Trim windows and door
9. Install cabinets
10. Install galvanized pegboard, including cutouts for electrical outlets
11. Upgrade lighting from 3 light bulbs to 3 4' LED shop lights

Electrical service is one existing 30 amp circuit, so no welding for me! I am also planning on using my existing 2x5 Harbor Freight wooden work bench as an island. May get another one so I can configure it as 2x10 or 4x5.

Any suggestions on anything I have not thought of?

/ Finally Getting My Shop #2  
Sounds good.

Lots of plugs is a good idea since you are going to sheetrock it. More lighting is better than not enough. If you paint it white it will make it all brighter.

Look forward to the progress. Thanks for sharing.

/ Finally Getting My Shop #3  
Sounds like a gun project. Is there any way to add a sink? Washing hands, or cleaning paint brushes, or washing what you are working on is always nicer in a shop sink then using the hose outside.

What will you be working on in your new shop?

/ Finally Getting My Shop
I thought about a sink, and getting water to the garage would not be too difficult, but tying into the septic would be a challenge. The garage is downhill from the septic tank so it would be an uphill run with a pump. What other options do I have for the drain water? Dry well? Not sure how one is built / how much space it takes.

#1 purpose for the shop is tool storage. Right now I can never find the tool I need, as some are in the garage, the house, basement and barn. I want one spot for them all, and enough storage that everything has its place - air tools, cordless tools, mechanics tools, plumbing tools, electrical tools etc. #2 use is for wood working projects. #3 is for car / tractor / engine repair and maintenance.

I would like to rig up my compressor so it is always hooked up and feeding 2 separate hoses that would be suspended from the ceiling, either hanging or on retractable reels. May be a good excuse to upgrade to a larger shop compressor.

No plans to heat the garage yet, but I am doing the insulation in case I ever want to finish off the rest of the garage and add heat. Don't want to undo what I have done already.

/ Finally Getting My Shop
Finished the electrical work today. Removed the 2 existing outlets and replaced them with four 4 outlet boxes. Also mounted a weather proof outlet outside the garage at the roof line to power the bug zapper in the summer.

Tomorrow is the horizontal 2x4's used to mount the lower and upper cabinets and insulation. With any luck sheetrock goes on Saturday.

_DSC8964.JPG

/ Finally Getting My Shop #7  
Make a hillbilly septic for the sink. Use 55 gallon drums buried and plum them like septic tanks. Google it for designs. My shop is 24x40 and I have it crammed full, but my wife keeps reminding me that the first 35 years of our marriage, my shop opened up when I backed a car out.

Yours is a nice size and sounds like you have it pretty well thought out.

/ Finally Getting My Shop #8  
Costco 4ft LED lights will make you smile. Will draw less and more light. I have lots of equipment on wheels/castors. Including a small welding table that I made out of and old craftsman tool chest and a 1/2in by 24in by 48in steel plate top. This and any floor tools can be rolled around to suit your projects and not be in the way when sitting.

One thing I did is label my drawers and door on my tool cabinets. It forced me to keep my tools in dedicated spaces and now I know where everything is!!! I thought it was a stupid idea at first when we had to do it at work but now I love the discipline of cleaning and putting everything away at the end of the day or at least project. I used to leave tools out so I could find them but then I never had clear counter space because it was cluttered with tools.

/ Finally Getting My Shop #9  
For just hand washing, run the drain pipe into some bushes. It's the same as using the hose outside your building.

/ Finally Getting My Shop #10  
For just hand washing, run the drain pipe into some bushes. It's the same as using the hose outside your building.

I HAVE hot water and a sink but that's what I do. Soap dispenser just inside the door and hose bib on the other side of the wall. Saves me cleaning the counter and sink. :)

IMG_2252.JPGIMG_2253.JPG

Terry