Finally building the house

/ Finally building the house #11  
Hate to hear about the blowout. I've had that happen on small projects that where easily fixed. I can't imagine what it would be like on something bigger.

/ Finally building the house
I'll post some pics, but it was caught early and shouldn't be too bad of a fix. My concrete guy says he can cut out the foam block, and the grind out some concrete and replace the foam. I rented the form supports from my bldg. supply, they aren't visible in the pics, cause I hadn't installed them at that point.

/ Finally building the house #13  
Nice work!! My Dad built my sisters house using ICF blocks. They had a few blowouts too, but it was amazingly quiet inside when it was done... I think you're right about bracing, bracing, and bracing some more... Concrete is heavy stuff!!

My wife and I will be starting construction on a place in the spring. The house will be engineered log, but I had considered ICF for the walk out basement.

I find myself wondering if it's worth the work, considering pouring footers, then stacking blocks, then bracing, then pour, then treating the ICF so we can backfill, or to protect it from exposure... I'm not sure we'll be much ahead of just contracting out a poured wall basement, and then furring it out and insulating if we decide at some point to finish it... ??

We're still very early in the planning stages, and I prefer to "do it myself" as much as possible, so I'd like to hear your thoughts if you have a bit of time.
Thanks, and keep up the good work!!

/ Finally building the house #14  
Ok, I looked at your pictures more, and I have questions...

Why concrete footings on ground level, but then dig out and use ICF well below grade for some of it? I believe I see a stand for a chimney, also ICF... ?? Why not just use footings for that section?
Perhaps I don't get what I'm looking at?? Is the level that's completed in the first pictures the basement, or is the "basement" currently full of sand?

Also, I was under the impression that you were not supposed to fill directly against the ICF blocks, but it appears you have done just that... ??

1stDeuce, in answer to your questions, what you see is a frost wall that is below grade because the basement has a walkout on two sides. Back fill against the frost wall is below the basement floor, therefore does not require waterproofing. The chimney chase could have been just a footer, but it is on the walkout side so I raised it the same as the frost wall. Hope this clears things up a bit.
Currently I am putting the subfloor down after spending last weekend setting the joists. I will post more pics soon.

Well folks, I've gone and done it. Back with the house progress after 2 plus years. So sorry for those of you following this, but life goes awry sometimes.
I have been making steady ,albeit slow progress. Currently trying to hang wallboard, get deck pilings, and retaining wall in place during my spring energy burst. Electrical is 90% complete, as well as 50% on the plumbing end. We had a few issues since I last posted here, but all in all, it's coming together.
I decided to hire out the roof, which turned out, was a fiasco. The contractor sent out a guy to frame up the roof, and unbeknownsed to me, he was not even a licenced carpenter. When we got to the steel roofing panels, things were not at all SQUARE. The contractor did however make it right. The entire roof took 15 months to complete. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. It was a good thing we had agreed on a completed price before he took the job on. I made sure he stuck to it.
Any way, I will try to post some progress pics tonite from home.

Thanks for your patience.

Dave

Now for some updated pics.... blowout in cold room.jpgBlocks removed so I can set the beam.jpgrear view of cold room.jpgthe worst blowout.jpgtop two corner blocks lifted a bit.jpg

more...

Attachments

• setting window bucks in place.jpg
    setting window bucks in place.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • subfloor on and temp railing in place.jpg
    subfloor on and temp railing in place.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
  • subfloor on.jpg
    subfloor on.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 115
some more pics...setting joists after the pour has cured.jpgsubfloor on and temp railing in place.jpg

/ Finally building the house #20  
I didn't expect two stories of concrete forms!!! This is gonna be something to see come together. Thanks for the pics!!!