Filter Talk

/ Filter Talk #1  

yammerjammer

Tractor
Yanmar 2210
Since there is limited info on these tractors I want to start a filter thread to clear up some confusion.

Initially I used a Fram ph9688. It was the only one I cound find that would fit. The applications listed on Fram site include john deere tractors w/ yanmar engines, and a few yanmar engines. I replaced it with a set of filters from Hoye because they say they have larger micron ratings to allow flow and wont let the tractors bypass open. The price was cheaper than a fram so I bought them. Turns out they are Baldwin B179.

Fram was rated 9-15 psi, iso rated to 20microns

Baldwin bypass rated 8psi, 18micron nominal 40 absolute.

For now Im sticking with Baldwin, but may choose something different in the future.

Please share the filter you use, and oil change intervals.

/ Filter Talk #2  
Since there is limited info on these tractors I want to start a filter thread to clear up some confusion.

There have been lists posted her in the past. Long ago there was little information available and the threads here were really the only reliable documentation for the gray market Yanmars.

Here's one discussion where I posted real and bogus air filters, then my comments on oil filters (post #14). To summarize: There is a common oil filter used on Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda, many Toyotas, in summary the most common filter available worldwide back when Yanmar built the YM's. It comes in various cannister lengths apparently just to fit available space. I remember a Subaru forum discussion when Subaru switched to the shortest version just for ground clearance.

All the numbers should be suitable for our Yanmars so long as they fit the available space. I don't think bypass spec is important, nobody should let oil get so dirty that it bypasses. Draindown spec also should be irrelevant for anyone who cranks with compression released until the oil light goes out.

Here's that old thread. There were several others, I'll post if I can find them. In summary there are already lists of suitable filters on here ... somewhere. I'll post here again if I can find a more concise thread.

Added: Another filter thread. I still haven't found the ultimate summary.

Added: Oil change interval post:

Last edited:
   / Filter Talk #3  

Initially I used a Fram ph9688. It was the only one I cound find that would fit. The applications listed on Fram site include john deere tractors w/ yanmar engines, and a few yanmar engines. I replaced it with a set of filters from Hoye because they say they have larger micron ratings to allow flow and wont let the tractors bypass open. The price was cheaper than a fram so I bought them. Turns out they are Baldwin B179.

Fram was rated 9-15 psi, iso rated to 20microns

Baldwin bypass rated 8psi, 18micron nominal 40 absolute.

For now Im sticking with Baldwin, but may choose something different in the future.

There is an entire thread on filters from about 3 years ago.

DO NOT use filters with lower micro ratings unless it's a very tall filter with more surface area. You will starve the engine otherwise and cause the flow to be greatly diminished.

Ideally, 20 to 30 micros is best for our diesel tractors.

And we need to discuss the oil as well as the two go hand-in-hand. Yanmar engines for the YM, F, FX, KE, RS are 10W30 summer and 5W30 winter diesel oil. These are JAPAN Made tractors to JIS standards, not SAE tractors that use 15W40. Using 15W40 and very low micro rated filters will cause a short life for the engine needing a rebuild much sooner.

The Yanmar Deere Engineering group worked all these details out long ago.
John Deere & Yanmar Engineering Co.jpg

Yanmar-oils JD spec manual.png

Shell Rotella T4 10W30 Diesel.jpg

Current filter is a NAPA-Carquest as it's the only one at the time I could find locally. Otherwise it would of been the taller Purolator Ag filter. My YM2610 has no loader, so the taller filter works great.