Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #641  
In Western MA I saw the gov step in and pay farmers not to grow potatoes.
So the Gov has been interfering in farming for almost as long as it's existed here in the US.
People seem to forget this.

When I was a kid, the school lunches were so cheap since the food came from gov buying and taking food out of circulation and still pay farmers for the "unsold" food that the gov stored in huge warehouses.
They did this until is became too expensive to ship to the schools. For a while they just threw it out as it was cheaper than distribution.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #642  
Yes, but NOTHING like these new green energy subsidies.
These are being funded by taxpayers on emotion.
I have to disagree. I believe that is an easy narrative to push. It was an easy narrative for company owners to use the few remaining underground coal miners as victims of political decisions when in reality, it was business decisions (NG just started to out compete coal). The same applies to this situation, just in reverse. It's easy to find some emotional people and them "blame" them for the presumed "issue." Textbook gas lighting. If you clicked on the map that mossroad posted, you will see a **** load of solar. It would have been impossible to have all those solar facilities built SINCE the Green New Deal was put into place. Solar has been on the rise for years, especially in place where they have A. Lots of sun and B. They do not want to pay to to have coal or gas transported to where they live. The subsidies were put in place because alternatives were on the rise and to finally make them competitive with conventional fossil fuels.

Also, new NG technology and infrastructure falls under these new subsidies. I have 3 in-laws that work in the gas industries. Their companies are making money hand over fist right now, most of which was triggered by the new deal. Drilling and pipeline construction have returned to pre-pandemic rates.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #643  
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #644  
Yes, but NOTHING like these new green energy subsidies.
These are being funded by taxpayers on emotion.
Oh, I see, they’re all pregnant, but some are more pregnant than others!

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #645  
Some people have got together in one of our communities and are planning on installing a huge multi-acre solar farm on property adjacent to my daughter's and sister-in-law's property. They will be surrounded to the north and south of their properties and across the road. Their property value will go to nearly nothing.

Has anybody fought the installation of one of these?

Any ideas?

RSKY

Since you're in Kentucky like me, I'll just say this... I know someone who is a top dog in our state Energy and Environment Cabinet and he is not a fan of solar farms.

- They use up valuable land that could be used for agriculture or other purposes
- They don't generate nearly enough electricity to justify the cost
- They are an environmental nightmare when the panels reach end of life
- They don't work when covered with snow or ice
- They harbor other problems and require constant maintenance of grounds or hardware
- They require the energy produced to be stored in batteries which are also an environmental nightmare

You could likely contact KY EEC and plead your case. Not sure they could stop a solar farm on private lands but they may "discourage" it enough to cause the owners to change their minds.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #646  
You know what they say about opinions.
Stay in your lane of expertise, if there is one
LMAO
hehehe...what I'm LMAO at is hay growers that call themselves farmers....too funny...!

like a "hay flea"...hopping from field to field...!

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #647  
I wish I knew for sure what some of the farmers in West Texas were getting in lease payments. But what I was told by someone that has a relative farming around the windmills is they made more money off the leases than they did from the crops.

I would think that it is close to correct as there is a lot of farmers taking advantage of the program. So if it benefits the farmer and it is his land he can do whatever he sees fit in my book. Hopefully they are doing well!
The lease values are well known for both wind turbines and solar. A typical 5mw wind turbine sited on less than an acre produces as much power as 35 acres of solar panels. The lease payments are based on production, not the amount of land used. Both of these 5mw scenarios around me would net the land owner a $50K check annually for the next 30 - 40 years.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #648  
hehehe...what I'm LMAO at is hay growers that call themselves farmers....too funny...!

like a "hay flea"...hopping from field to field...!
Hay is absolutely a crop! We raise some and buy most...horse quality hay. It requires a tremendous amount of work, weed control, fertilizer, equipment. The farmer we buy from
was a dairy farmer, now hay. His square baler he recently bought bales and bundles 21 large bales in one operation and costs more than most people's new homes. He also recently had several large steel buildings built for storage, each over $1/4M.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #649  
Since you're in Kentucky like me, I'll just say this... I know someone who is a top dog in our state Energy and Environment Cabinet and he is not a fan of solar farms.

- They use up valuable land that could be used for agriculture or other purposes
- They don't generate nearly enough electricity to justify the cost
- They are an environmental nightmare when the panels reach end of life
- They don't work when covered with snow or ice
- They harbor other problems and require constant maintenance of grounds or hardware
- They require the energy produced to be stored in batteries which are also an environmental nightmare

You could likely contact KY EEC and plead your case. Not sure they could stop a solar farm on private lands but they may "discourage" it enough to cause the owners to change their minds.
Well, I have a friend that’s very “high up” in the government and he says all your comments are wrong.
how about some data to back up all your points?

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #650  
Hay is absolutely a crop! We raise some and buy most...horse quality hay. It requires a tremendous amount of work, weed control, fertilizer, equipment. The farmer we buy from
was a dairy farmer, now hay. His square baler he recently bought bales and bundles 21 large bales in one operation and costs more than most people's new homes. He also recently had several large steel buildings built for storage, each over $1/4M.
It's a big business...but in the true sense of the word hay growers are not really farmers IMO...!

No different than commercial clam diggers calling themselves commercial fishermen...

Status
Not open for further replies.