FIAT cabin tractors - Heating system

/ FIAT cabin tractors - Heating system #1  

mungus

Bronze Member
Tractor
FIAT 780
Anyone here have a FIAT tractor with a cab on it? They are quite a common option, and I've seen all the 80 series and later with them. Lots of them in Europe and quite a few sold in the USA under FIAT or Heston from the mid 1970's to late 1980's. If so I wanted to ask a question about the cabin heating system.

Anyway my question is where does the heat (hot water) for the cabin heater get ported from exactly?
If we are being specific, mine is a 780, similar to the 880 (4 cylinder IVECO "8045" diesel). I had assumed there would be a couple of cast in pipes / barbs or threaded ports in the head or off the water pump etc. Into which a threaded 16mm or 5/8" hose barb would be screwed. But so far I cant find anything.

There are a couple of small coarse threaded plugs, maybe M10 or 12, on the thermostat housing and water pump, but that is too small an ID to run hot water to a heating radiator IMHO. That would allow no more than half the usual ID for a standard 5/8" heater hose...

I have found one photo on the web, of what looks like a hose barb mounted using a banjo bolt, off the termostat housing on a rebuilt 680 motor. Is that 1 of them? How about the other one?

Any FIAT guys here know?

/ FIAT cabin tractors - Heating system
OK I found the answer by checking out lots of fuzzy engine photos on the web, usually in for sale ads from Europe.
There are several M16 x 1.5 ports in the thermostat housing AND in the water pump body itself. Every heater installation I saw took its hot water from the thermostat housing on the LHS (looking FWD), and from a port on the water pump, (either side works apparently).