FEL Doesn't Float

/ FEL Doesn't Float #1  

Roadworthy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST,
I've looked through old posts about float not working or staying in detent. I can't find my issue so I'll describe it. My joystick does go into the float position as it's supposed to. Instead of lowering under gravity the bucket goes up. Controls all respond normally otherwise, I've just got this issue with the float position which DID work. I've done nothing of which I'm aware to change anything. The FEL is a Koyker 120 if that makes a difference. Suggestions appreciated.

/ FEL Doesn't Float #2  
Mine stopped working also. But mine stays down and has no float to it even thoo the handle is in the float position. Under the cover there is linkage that connects the handle. I am going to check that when I get time as I have had problems with the adj nuts backing off there

/ FEL Doesn't Float #3  
Do you a gauge that you could tee Into the pressure port of FEL valve?

Not sure if even possible but wondering if the spool is not traveling to the correct position and building pressure that is then being directed to the loader.

In float you should see very similar pressure as with the valves all in spring centered position

/ FEL Doesn't Float
From what I've read I think my next step will to be making sure everything in the joystick area and valves are all moving as they should - nothing dirty or sticking. This thing is about fourteen years old and lives in a dusty area. It could be that simple - hopefully.

/ FEL Doesn't Float #5  
Add me to the list of those with "float" problems. Mine mostly just pops out of float, but occasionally acts like I'm holding it in the "down" position.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to troubleshoot the joystick assembly. Is it one of those things where if you don't take it apart just right springs & other pieces go flying?

/ FEL Doesn't Float
My joystick setup is the older all mechanical kind. I'll have to see exactly what pops out when I start disassembling and cleaning - I've never done that before. It will be a few days before I tackle it as it's at my neighbor's right now. It's possible even spraying with WD-40 would help.

/ FEL Doesn't Float #7  
Most detent assemblies are located in the cover on the opposite end of the spool from the control lever. There are different styles of detent assemblies so not one clear and defined procedure for cleaning them. Most detent assemblies have spring loaded pins or balls that fall into a groove when the spool is moved to float position. How these assemblies are made is the biggest variable. Typical problem is usually years of accumulated crud or rust & or a combination of both. If you can get inside this cover and it has a good drain path spray cleaner like WD 40 may solve the problem.

None of this explains why the OP loader is raising in float though.

/ FEL Doesn't Float #8  
Thats what mine does also. The lever stays in float but it works only part time when in that pos. I think it may be a lock nut backed off in the control area. I had one once before come loose in there. It is easy to figure out just take your time

/ FEL Doesn't Float
For those with a continuing interest in my issue - I started the tractor this morning and the float was magically fixed!! I have no idea why it was not working or why it is now working. I'll just accept it and go from there. If it ain't broke I can't fix it.