Feed hay prices

/ Feed hay prices #41  
It won’t be long before the horse rescue stations and Mexican slaughter house are full of hobby horse that people can no longer afford to keep. I saw that happen in 2008 during the Great Recession.
Im thinking the same...

/ Feed hay prices #42  
I just checked on hay prices here in Ea WA. Alfalfa - $300/ton-( large 3x4 sq bales). 2nd cutting orchard grass - $14.50/bale. Delivery is extra on all types.

/ Feed hay prices #43  
Paid $35 per 900 lb roll delivered this year. Already been told it'll be $40 going forward. We usually get 200 rolls, so that will be a bite.
I spoke too soon. Just had 100 rolls delivered today at $55 each. Couldn't argue considering the price of fertilizer, lime, and fuel.

/ Feed hay prices
I spoke too soon. Just had 100 rolls delivered today at $55 each. Couldn't argue considering the price of fertilizer, lime, and fuel.

Thats crazy cheap. I can sell 1/2 ton round bales of mulch hay for $60/each.
If that hay’s any good, PM me the guy’s number. I could buy those and resell them up here for $120.

/ Feed hay prices #46  
If that hay’s any good, PM me the guy’s number. I could buy those and resell them up here for $120.

Hay - Big Rolls 8 13 2022.jpeg

/ Feed hay prices #47  
What's it going to cost in fuel to haul it? I am paying about $50 for a 800-1000 lb roll. The this year is ok.

/ Feed hay prices
Depends on how far south in VA. I can get to VA border in 1.5-2 hours

/ Feed hay prices #50  
I picked up "pasture grass" for $5/~60 lb super clean bale at the farm around May 6th. Earliest my supplier had ever cut. That was $1 more than last year but still not bad. His hay is super clean. He sells his small bales off of the field, never putting any up.

Then the spigot turned off for awhile before returning big time. The Amish around me have gotten several cuttings in the last month or so with the heat and moisture.

One thing I see though is a lot of horrible fields that have been left go. We have an issue with Johnson grass (see Mr Johnson's Grass). Not sure if people consider it not worth putting up anymore or what?

Glad that I only have four horses left, all seniors. I used to feed Triple Crown Senior but that has gotten to 31 and change at Tractor Supply. I switched to a locally processed (Louisville) blended senior for 21 and change. The horses seem fine, fat, not dumb and happy.

When I run out of my grass hay this fall and switch to Alfalfa/Orchard for the winter I guess that it will cost more than the $7/bale I had been paying for a few years.