Father left this world

/ Father left this world #81  
View attachment 759699
My great aunt wrote on boarder of this one. That was a big help. My GG grandparents, and my G grandmother on back right

Traveling photographers used to go through rural communities making photos of families in their Sunday best outside of their homes. In the larger cities, family photos were made in studios until Kodak came out in the late 1890s or so with box cameras and film development services that shifted things away from professional photographers to home photographers.

Then digital cameras came along roughly 100 years later and did Kodak in.

I suspect not many smartphone camera pics will survive compared to printed photos. Phone dies...can't get the pics off....no backups. Heirs won't have access to the old smartphones for one reason or another. Incompatible file storage or operating system formats. Hence, my view is to print important photos.

I apologize to Sigarms for going off on this tangent. When someone important to us passes, we naturally remember their lives and their importance to us. It's a time when making some notes of our recollections while they are fresh in our minds can help us to remember them better as the years pass.

/ Father left this world #82  
I use to collect baseball cards to!😁

As for Heaven and Hades, I'm a pessimist at heart. If I plan it that way and it happens, Its expected on my end. If it works out better than expected, I'm ahead of the game LOL Never been to a funeral yet where the minister has said the departed is going to Hades.

Way I see it, if I want to collect scriptures, I'll get a Bible. Wait, I have one!
I have. It wasn't pretty. He pretty much told half the congregation they were going to hell. He's been the officiant for at least 6 weddings and funerals that we've gone to and he always goes off on the crowd. Nice guy, though. :ROFLMAO:

/ Father left this world #83  
I'm very sorry for your loss Sig. My MIL fell and broke her hip at 92. They performed surgery but she passed 2 days later due to the shock. You did the right thing. RIP pops.

/ Father left this world #85  
I used to drag race motorcycle. I wouldn't want to die that way.

You used to lifeguard as I did. Would you want to drown? Foot around an anchor line in shallow water? Yikes! I wouldn't.

He died doing what he loved, skydiving: plummeting to earth after his parachute didn't open.

Nope. I don't want to see it coming, not even for a few seconds. ;) I want to go in my sleep, or be hit by lightning, space debris maybe.😂

Maybe my mind will change as I get older and reflect on my life, but for now, make it quick.
Everyone wants to die in their sleep. Unfortunately, we don’t get to choose. His father very somberly told me “everything was fine, until it wasn’t. He struck a solid object doing 200MPH.
It was over before he knew it was over.”
I think the comparison to drowning is a bit off-kilter? It takes like 2 minutes to drown and you are very aware of what is happening, versus striking a immovable object at 200MPH in 2 seconds?

Anyway, we can go on comparing what would be worse.
And apologies to Sigarms for being a bit off topic.

/ Father left this world
I think not seeing it coming is the best way if possible. Just don't like the though of having to pick up body pieces.

I just remember a hearing a ambulance around my road for the first time here in years. Turns out the farmer down the road took a gun to himself because of brain cancer. Bigger question is it having courage or being a coward to determine your own fate when the time is with certainty due to a disease on your end?

Use to do a lot of whitewater kayaking. There was a part of me that wouldn't have minded dying doing what I love, but in hindsight, as mentioned, drowning isn't the way I'd want to go.

Per when you're in a hospital, I think part of the issue is the medical profession's "duty" to keep you alive, particularly when your time is fast approaching.

I do know I have a DNR listed on myself, as does my wife. Seems like if you do not have a DNR, it only prolongs the suffering in a hospital and any wishes of the family can be bypassed. My father had a DNR, and the doctor and I seemed to be on the same page with the morphine.

Anyway, we can go on comparing what would be worse.
And apologies to Sigarms for being a bit off topic.

Sorry, you were saying;)

As long as no one calls my father negative names, no apologies
needed LOL

/ Father left this world #87  
My father in-law had a DNR and a purple DNR bracelet on his wrist. However, he was such a tough old dude that they never had to use it. They'd tell us they didn't think he'd last much longer, then a couple days late he'd be home from the hospital sweeping the garage and driveway! I think he was the model for the Energizer Bunny! :)

/ Father left this world #88  
My mom and dad have been gone since 88 and 95 respectively. A lot of other relatives and friends have passed over the years as well. What I've found, and this may not apply to everyone, so it's just a personal thing, is that the longer they are gone, the more favorable memories persist and get stronger, and the least favorable memories fade away. I think of them often and usually end with a smile. It was tough at first, but it gets easier as time goes on. ;)

/ Father left this world #89  
In life's transitions I think no longer having living parents is huge and really brings it all into focus...

There are still times when a fleeting thought crosses my mind wanting to share something with Dad and he has been gone 20+ years...

Maybe this is exactly how it is suppose to me when loved ones live on in our hearts and minds...

/ Father left this world #90  
In life's transitions I think no longer having living parents is huge and really brings it all into focus...

There are still times when a fleeting thought crosses my mind wanting to share something with Dad and he has been gone 20+ years...

Maybe this is exactly how it is suppose to me when loved ones live on in our hearts and minds...
Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Also, what to do when all your mentors die? Grow up? ;)