Father left this world

/ Father left this world #61  
Sorry for your loss Sigarms sounds as if he lived a full life. You are blessed to have had so much time with him and the stories about him are wonderful, thanks for sharing. Prayers for your loss

Anything you need let us know only a couple of hours away and we will be in Winston Salem this Saturday for car service

/ Father left this world
Sorry to hear about your fathers passing. My father, a WW2 vet, died back in 1998 of lung cancer having smoked most of his life.
If you believe in a God then only He can knows the time and place of one's death.
So someone who murdered themselves (suicide) might have gotten better and lived years more.
Now if someone dies because of something they did (smoking, obesity, etc) then could that be considered a slow form of suicide?
If you believe in the God of Abraham, there is only one Judge. The issue IMO is men believing in that God trying to speak on His behalf as judge.

Bigger question is if someone who is suffering from mental illness kills themselves, what caused the mental illness and are they responsible for their own actions?

Way I see it, we'll all have it figured out when it's our time;)

/ Father left this world
Sorry for your loss Sigarms sounds as if he lived a full life. You are blessed to have had so much time with him and the stories about him are wonderful, thanks for sharing. Prayers for your loss

Anything you need let us know only a couple of hours away and we will be in Winston Salem this Saturday for car service
Sincere thanks for that offer. Everything has been arranged. He'll be buried up in Pa next month. Hotels, funeral home, burial service, restaurant all taken care of. Kind of proud I did it all without my wife, who was away with her mother. Like my dads life, my wife is the brains of the outfit, but it's nice to know I can still get things done when needed on my own LOL

/ Father left this world #64  

Way I see it, we'll all have it figured out when it's our time;)
71982D61-55EE-4A23-9AB0-CB9393B36FEF.jpeg

/ Father left this world
Sorry to hear about your father. I dealt with 10+ years of my dad post stroke before he passed away in 2019 after many falls. Mom died 6 months later after many falls as well. It's tough to witness.
Yet another reason why I was blessed IMO. Dad took a couple of falls before, nothing serious. This last one was the ONE though. Thing his, he went quick and didn't suffer, and for that I'm grateful for. Like I said, he had a good life and he didn't spend more than a day and a half in the hospital when he went.

For myself, the only perfect death is in your sleep. Don't know the percentages, but I'd guess their extremely low.

/ Father left this world #66  
Sorry for your loss Sig.. I lost my grandmother and my father and then my grandfather all spaced about 9 or 10 months apart. They all really suffered. Gandma was 100, was diagnosed with dementia around 98 years of age. PawPaw fought Parkinson's forever, was skinny as a rail when he finally left. My father had several big surgeries that tried to kill him each time and eventually got colon cancer.
I watched them suffer and as an old family friend told me, life is a blessing and sometimes death is as well.

/ Father left this world
Learned something new today.

With all the people in this world dying, why there are not pages and pages of obituaries in the paper.

The simple reason? I'm guessing most people can't afford them or don't think they're worth the money.

Did run it up north as my dad did know a lot of people and thought it right to let people know. Down here, I almost fell over dead myself as it was even higher. We're not talking two or three hundred dollars.

/ Father left this world #68  

With all the people in this world dying, why there are not pages and pages of obituaries in the paper.

The simple reason? I'm guessing most people can't afford them or don't think they're worth the money.

Did run it up north as my dad did know a lot of people and thought it right to let people know. Down here, I almost fell over dead myself as it was even higher. We're not talking two or three hundred dollars.

A friend and customer of mine just lost his son 2 weeks ago. Died doing what he loved-professional drag racer. Chute opened and lost control. I never liked auto or drag racing, but that’s what he loved doing.
I would think that would be the way to go. Better than laying in a bed with people getting all riled up and crying over me.
I hear you on the obituaries. My older sister put my my fathers and mothers obituaries in the local paper and it was ridiculously expensive, just like all other funeral costs.

/ Father left this world #69  

Yep. I'll tell you from my experience working at a newspaper for 30 years... you could change the format of the paper, move features, sports, human interest, etc... around. Do anything you wanted with the layout of the paper. But if you messed with stocks or obits, the phones would ring off the hook with complaints.

Eventually, with dropping circulation numbers, the demise of classified advertising due to Craig's List (Classifieds were the bread and butter of newspapers), and the advent of stocks on-line, the only thing left was Obits. So the prices went up. It's sad but true.

Our newspaper prints Death Notices free of charge. The Death Notice says:

Name of Deceased - Sometimes Lists The Age - Sometimes Lists The Date of Death - Sometimes Lists the Funeral Home Handling Arrangements

Then they print the Obituary if paid for. Usually the funeral home handles that.
Since they are so expensive, a lot of people just pay the funeral home to release a small Obit to the newspaper that says something like:

Name of Deceased passed away mm/dd/yy. See X funeral home website for details.

and then they let the funeral home take care of the obit on their website.

Unfortunately, this will do a lot to muck up genealogy searches in the future, as newspapers were pretty organized and did a great job of preserving history. With the facts being spread out amongst so many different places now, it's gonna be harder to locate them, and there's no entity to keep records in one place.

A lot of people don't know that most newspapers send copies to the local libraries for preservation. Most funeral homes do not.

So at best, in the future, one could search a newspaper through a library and find a death notice, with little to no more information preserved.

/ Father left this world #70  
A friend and customer of mine just lost his son 2 weeks ago. Died doing what he loved-professional drag racer. Chute opened and lost control. I never liked auto or drag racing, but that’s what he loved doing.
I would think that would be the way to go. Better than laying in a bed with people getting all riled up and crying over me.
I hear you on the obituaries. My older sister put my my fathers and mothers obituaries in the local paper and it was ridiculously expensive, just like all other funeral costs.
I used to drag race motorcycle. I wouldn't want to die that way.

You used to lifeguard as I did. Would you want to drown? Foot around an anchor line in shallow water? Yikes! I wouldn't.

He died doing what he loved, skydiving: plummeting to earth after his parachute didn't open.

Nope. I don't want to see it coming, not even for a few seconds. ;) I want to go in my sleep, or be hit by lightning, space debris maybe.😂

Maybe my mind will change as I get older and reflect on my life, but for now, make it quick.