Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer??

/ Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer??
Deer love soybeans or other type beans/peas aka black eye'd peas.

/ Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer?? #12  
I've never tried soybeans. Do the dear go after them? I made the mistake of planting Lab Lab in the fall and it did great until the first freeze, then it all died on me. I had quite a few deer tracks in it and was excited about the possibilities. Now I'm thinking of planting at least a quarter of my food plot on it again and I'm looking for other ideas to plant the rest of it.

I like to lime and fertilize with 13-13-13 in the spring so it's ready for the fall planting. I've heard that it takes several months for the lime to absorb into the soil.

Eddie

If you plant enough soybeans you can attract deer from the time they come up until the last bean is gone. I plant around 8 acres in May and they are holding up so far and should last until early April. What's nice is they love them as greens, throughout the winter and its hard to come up with a better source of protein. Here's a couple bucks feeding around one of the treestands in August.

SUNP0025-2.jpg

Here's a 4 minute video of some of the deer and turkeys around the soybeans

https://vimeo.com/77921690

Last edited:
   / Fall Planted Oats Spring Fertilizer?? #13  
If you plant enough soybeans you can attract deer from the time they come up until the last bean is gone. I plant around 8 acres in May and they are holding up so far and should last until early April. What's nice is they love them as greens, throughout the winter and its hard to come up with a better source of protein. Here's a couple bucks feeding around one of the treestands in August.

I agree with Dave about how powerful soybeans are from sprouting to the last bean in winter. You do have to plant enough to keep from having the young sprouts devoured before they get some size. I've planted them in a mix with sorghum, cowpeas, and buckwheat and had good success.

Dave, great video: the audio is a nice touch - hearing the 8 pointer crunching in the beans and how loud the turkeys are. I especially like the Great Blue Heron - I've never captured one of those on a trail cam.

Eddie - I like the new flower "planters" on your pond. Congrats on your engagement.