Expecting some rain this weekend

/ Expecting some rain this weekend #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Hurricane Hillary is headed this way. First hurricane to hit CA in 80 some years. Prediction for my area is 3 to 3 1/2 inches with local flooding. Thats almost the annual rainfall for my area of the Mojave. Local roads including paved roads will be impassible until plowed. There is NO drainage systems out here, the water just goes where it goes. I plan to do some prep work today to minimize my probable damage. All the roads around me are sand/caliche and there will be extensive repair next week. My Kubota will get a workout.

/ Expecting some rain this weekend #2  
Hurricane Hillary is headed this way. First hurricane to hit CA in 80 some years. Prediction for my area is 3 to 3 1/2 inches with local flooding. Thats almost the annual rainfall for my area of the Mojave. Local roads including paved roads will be impassible until plowed. There is NO drainage systems out here, the water just goes where it goes. I plan to do some prep work today to minimize my probable damage. All the roads around me are sand/caliche and there will be extensive repair next week. My Kubota will get a workout.
Used to live out there and you are spot on. Best of luck.
Now here we average 55" per year and I've seen 13" in 8 hours or 3" per hour during some Thunderstorms.

/ Expecting some rain this weekend #3  
Wow, be safe!
I always thought in pacific they were cyclones and not hurricanes?
I really have no idea what the difference is.

/ Expecting some rain this weekend #4  
Wow, be safe!
I always thought in pacific they were cyclones and not hurricanes?
I really have no idea what the difference is.
Western Pacific vs. Eastern Pacific nomenclature.

With a little luck, Hillary will come through only as a tropical storm, not a full fledged hurricane, but either way there will be lots of flash floods and damage. The forecasts continue to predict higher and higher amounts of rainfall in southern California.

San Diego has only a couple of high voltage lines feeding it. If the winds end up being on the higher end of the forecasts, restoration might take awhile.

Time to be perhaps a little more prepared than usual.

@orezok good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Expecting some rain this weekend #5  
Western Pacific vs. Eastern Pacific nomenclature.

With a little luck, Hillary will come through only as a tropical storm, not a full fledged hurricane, but either way there will be lots of flash floods and damage. The forecasts continue to predict higher and higher amounts of rainfall in southern California.

San Diego has only a couple of high voltage lines feeding it. If the winds end up being on the higher end of the forecasts, restoration might take awhile.

Time to be perhaps a little more prepared than usual.

@orezok good luck!

All the best,

Peter
Well my day is complete, I have learned something and it is before noon!
Water, gas, food and all that stuff!
Be safe.
I stayed in the Mojave once for 30 days outside of Camp Roberts.
Sorry, but I am not a fan

/ Expecting some rain this weekend #6  
Months worth rain in day :oops: stay safe.

/ Expecting some rain this weekend #7  
How far inland are they predicting the rain will travel?

/ Expecting some rain this weekend
Well my day is complete, I have learned something and it is before noon!
Water, gas, food and all that stuff!
Be safe.
I stayed in the Mojave once for 30 days outside of Camp Roberts.
Sorry, but I am not a fan
Desert life is different. Some people love it, others totally hate it. We love it. Been here for 30 years and wouldn’t live anywhere else.

By the way, did I mention no humidity, no mosquitos, no chiggers, no poison ivy, no lawn to mow etc. I could go on and on.

But we do have 4 season including snow.

/ Expecting some rain this weekend #10  
Let's hope it is more mild than forecasted. Stay safe!

I think we are reaching a point in our world where everyone should have a higher level of preparedness. I know I am working in that direction!