Excessive ads?

/ Excessive ads? #21  
I don't know "Tapatalk" but see that even when using ad blocking DNS that people are still seeing ads, so the ads op are seeing may be due to the app.

The "hosts" file is effective but it needs updating periodically. Then there is the problem of multiple devices.

Flashing an open sourced firmware to your eligible router and activating an ad blocker protects all devices on your network - that's every computer and cell phone connected via wifi in your home. The two solutions below will even update themselves automatically.

You may be interested in flashing your compatible router with OpenWrt and installing the available Adblock software on the router.

FreshTomato router firmware is easier to configure and has an ad blocker built in but not turned on. This ad blocker uses the same hosts file but automatically downloads updates from multiple different sources.

Flashing a router comes with risk but the reward is high. Ad blocking isn't the only extra feature. But only consider this if you have some tech experience or are technically minded. First time out the learning curve is steep but the guides are usually well written.

Second hand routers are plentiful and are an inexpensive way to try this if you don't have much experience.

/ Excessive ads? #22  
I'm Android phone using Google browser, this site almost unbearable now on the phone, PC is okay. Seems it got worse just a few weeks ago.

/ Excessive ads? #23  
I don't know "Tapatalk" but see that even when using ad blocking DNS that people are still seeing ads, so the ads op are seeing may be due to the app.

The "hosts" file is effective but it needs updating periodically. Then there is the problem of multiple devices.

Flashing an open sourced firmware to your eligible router and activating an ad blocker protects all devices on your network - that's every computer and cell phone connected via wifi in your home. The two solutions below will even update themselves automatically.

You may be interested in flashing your compatible router with OpenWrt and installing the available Adblock software on the router.

FreshTomato router firmware is easier to configure and has an ad blocker built in but not turned on. This ad blocker uses the same hosts file but automatically downloads updates from multiple different sources.

Flashing a router comes with risk but the reward is high. Ad blocking isn't the only extra feature. But only consider this if you have some tech experience or are technically minded. First time out the learning curve is steep but the guides are usually well written.

Second hand routers are plentiful and are an inexpensive way to try this if you don't have much experience.
If you use a router-based ad-blocker, is there a provision to allow ads for certain sites? Some site will not load if they detect you are using an ad blocker.

/ Excessive ads? #24  
If you use a router-based ad-blocker, is there a provision to allow ads for certain sites? Some site will not load if they detect you are using an ad blocker.
Yes. In both OpenWrt and FreshTomato there is a "White List" and a "Black List" page for naming specific domains.

/ Excessive ads? #25  
I use Brave browser. I get zero ads.

/ Excessive ads? #26  
laptop poses no problems for me. don't much care for cell access to internet maybe i'm old school...to me ads are a small price for a free forum. are you suggesting paid membership as an alternative? best regards

/ Excessive ads? #27  
I would pay a small yearly fee or allow us to submit donations to not see ads on a page and to help support the website. Through the decades, i have paid membership fees to belong to sites that had my interest. Paying a little bit of money will usually make you more active on the site, also. If you don't pay for something, it loses value and you don't use it.

/ Excessive ads? #28  
Ideally we would have no ads.

Logged in the ad load is much different than logged out. I use the same layout as everybody else and I agree, the ads when you are logged out is not a good experience for browsing multiple threads. But as soon as you log in everything changes.

/ Excessive ads? #29  
I'm not super negative for ads. However, I run a program called NoScript that kills off any unwanted scripts (including many ads).

It does take a bit of work to set up a new site when I encounter it. Not a lot, but one has to configure each website.

If a website wants to cater to me, then they need to keep their scripts under control. There are some sites that run literally 50 scripts on one's machine, without explanation, and can grind the whole computer to a halt.

Push the ads up using HTML from the primary link and I'll see them.

/ Excessive ads? #30  
If you use a chrome-based browser, there are extensions for switching javascript on en off with one click. If a page shows too many ads, click on the extension and the page reloads automatically, no settings per site needed. Do then not forget to switch the JS on again for other sites, as many do need JS for running completely. This is where to get it: Toggle JavaScript

The hosts file still is the best solution without need for doing anything; just download and copy the latest version once a year or so if you run it locally in the machine.