Error correction

/ Error correction #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
I figured since there is not a logging or timber section on TBN, this would be the best place for advice on how to fix my mistake.

I had a 12 year old+/- loblolly pine die in my little forest. I missed a bit on where it would drop and it got hung up. It is not close to any building, roads, etc. I left it alone for a couple of weeks (hoping wind would bring it down). The trunk is 100% off of the stump, but it is still 'standing' with about a 15%-20% lean.

My current thought is to hook up a logging rope/chain to the lower end and (from 50+ ft away) pull the trunk out from under the tree. Once it is down, I can easily break it down to manageable size. I estimate it is about 25-30 ft tall and around 1400-1600 lbs. I down like the potential risk of it falling at the wrong time and injuring anyone or anything.

I am admittedly inexperienced in this aspect to tree work. Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions are welcome.

/ Error correction #2  
I've done what you're talking about, usually I redirect it so if it suddenly shoots out along the ground I'm not in the line of fire. More typically the butt digs into the soil a crap ton and makes a big furrow or they flop all the way back over opposite from where they were leaning. Either way you want to be well away from it.

/ Error correction
Thanks. Any recommendations on rope/cable? It is stuff I am going to need in the near future anyway as we are only a few months away from moving out there permanently.

For this one, I am planning to use the Tundra to pull from a distance about 2x the height of the tree.

What do you use for redirect? I could pivot on a Sweet Gum that I will eventually remove anyway. Not sure of that is advisable or better techniques exist.

/ Error correction #4  
I don't know about "redirecting" it, but I have done it with steel cable around the trunk (something that wont fray when dragging the butt thru the dirt). Then a long rope about four times the height of the tree....attached to my F-250.
Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 103
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 104
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 95
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 103
   / Error correction #5  
Thanks. Any recommendations on rope/cable? It is stuff I am going to need in the near future anyway as we are only a few months away from moving out there permanently.

For this one, I am planning to use the Tundra to pull from a distance about 2x the height of the tree.

What do you use for redirect? I could pivot on a Sweet Gum that I will eventually remove anyway. Not sure of that is advisable or better techniques exist.
I've got a 150' "bull line" I picked up a while back I use for all the tree chores aside from dragging them through the woods, works great. I usually redirect with a 4'x2" strap and a gigantic shackle (Think it's 1 1/4 diameter?).

More typical of my use for the bull line, this was tornado damage. The stump had about 20' of tree on it I had to cut to get at this top portion that got ripped off, this was actually about 4 hrs into the cleanup project finally getting to where I could access the widowmaker.
1675263787532.png

Last edited:
   / Error correction
That looks like another project I have on my list. I have one that broke in half. Not sure if lightning or rot (thinking rot, though). I guess I have some shopping to do since school is out due to the weather.

/ Error correction #7  
I don't know about "redirecting" it, but I have done it with steel cable around the trunk (something that wont fray when dragging the butt thru the dirt). Then a long rope about four times the height of the tree....attached to my F-250.
Cheers,
Mike

You have some holy grail fire wood there...

/ Error correction #8  
I have had to do this many times , If the trunk is not dug in deep giving it a tug will usually drop it, If using a strap get a good one, If it snaps it can send the hook your direction,

/ Error correction #9  

I've used a winch cable from HF. It's about the least expensive cable you'll find. You'll need cable clamps and a ferrule to form an eye to pull on. Use chains to attach the cable to the tree or to extend the reach.

If the tree would come free easier if it rolled one direction or the other, you can attach your chain so that pulling on it will make the tree roll a bit first before it starts pulling the butt.

A way to do this without pulling is to cut the trunk in sections. You need to make a cut on the top side first then cut from the bottom. This method gradually stands the tree up which might be a problem for controlling the falling direction.

When you redirect off a tree that you want to keep, you need to use a wide strap to hold the pulley. If you run a cable or chain around the tree it will rip the bark up. Even the strap can damage the bark if it slides on the tree and the bark is thin.