Error correction

/ Error correction #11  
I have had to do this many times , If the trunk is not dug in deep giving it a tug will usually drop it, If using a strap get a good one, If it snaps it can send the hook your direction,
Good advice but recovery straps without hooks or chains are advisable.

/ Error correction #12  
I always throw an old blanket on the rope or chain, about halfway up. This keeps the rope/chain form coming back at you if it should break. A snapping rope/chain will hurt you.

/ Error correction #13  
Good advice but recovery straps without hooks or chains are advisable.
Do NOT use a "Recovery" strap for this. Recovery straps are designed to have a good bit of elasticity, which is exactly what you don't want when pulling on a tree. If it should break, or something lets go, that elasticity acts like a sling shot.

/ Error correction #14  
I figured since there is not a logging or timber section on TBN, this would be the best place for advice on how to fix my mistake.

I had a 12 year old+/- loblolly pine die in my little forest. I missed a bit on where it would drop and it got hung up. It is not close to any building, roads, etc. I left it alone for a couple of weeks (hoping wind would bring it down). The trunk is 100% off of the stump, but it is still 'standing' with about a 15%-20% lean.

My current thought is to hook up a logging rope/chain to the lower end and (from 50+ ft away) pull the trunk out from under the tree. Once it is down, I can easily break it down to manageable size. I estimate it is about 25-30 ft tall and around 1400-1600 lbs. I down like the potential risk of it falling at the wrong time and injuring anyone or anything.

I am admittedly inexperienced in this aspect to tree work. Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Torvy -

Way too many variables to go from a text description. I hesitate to give advice on hung trees unless I'm there in person looking at it, but at least some photos would be helpful. Some hat show how the butt is resting, some showing the whole tree and how it is hung up, and somethign showing the surroundings would be helpful.

/ Error correction #15  
I've done what you're talking about, usually I redirect it so if it suddenly shoots out along the ground I'm not in the line of fire. More typically the butt digs into the soil a crap ton and makes a big furrow or they flop all the way back over opposite from where they were leaning. Either way you want to be well away from it.
this is exactly correct, get the chain low as possible. If it was a bigger tree, put a pulley up 10 feet in a large near by tree and pull through the pulley to lift the base. As small as it is, if there is nothing near by to break, put the chain low and stay as far away as possible. try and look around that there is not a near by tree you might domino on yourself:)

Best,

ed

/ Error correction
Torvy -

Way too many variables to go from a text description. I hesitate to give advice on hung trees unless I'm there in person looking at it, but at least some photos would be helpful. Some hat show how the butt is resting, some showing the whole tree and how it is hung up, and somethign showing the surroundings would be helpful.
Alright. We were out there today and I snapped a shot.

20230212_124446.jpg

/ Error correction #18  
Thanks. Any recommendations on rope/cable? It is stuff I am going to need in the near future anyway as we are only a few months away from moving out there permanently.

For this one, I am planning to use the Tundra to pull from a distance about 2x the height of the tree.

What do you use for redirect? I could pivot on a Sweet Gum that I will eventually remove anyway. Not sure of that is advisable or better techniques exist.
Buy a choker cable. It’s what professionals use and with your forested land, you will get plenty of use skidding firewood. Fasten to the tractor drawbar, not 3ph.

/ Error correction
Buy a choker cable. It’s what professionals use and with your forested land, you will get plenty of use skidding firewood. Fasten to the tractor drawbar, not 3ph.
Thanks. I did know enough to use the drawbar. I've got to get some good logging rope, too. Skidding should be limited to short distances, just to get clear enough to cut to size and haul away on the trailer. This particular tree just needs to be down. It is only a short distance to the homestead from there.

/ Error correction #20  
Looking at that picture if you give it a good yank to the left, as seen, I think it should roll off and fall.

You're thinning project looks a whole lot like mine, what a pain.