Electric Trailer Winch Question....

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #1  

gltrap54

Silver Member
Tractor
B3200 Kubota
I'm looking for input on a winch to be installed on my 16' T10 Towmaster car hauler.... For the most part it will be used to load my B3200 Kubota in the event of a breakdown... My service guy has discouraged installing one saying most people have nothing but trouble with them, however I'm by myself & nearly 70 & I don't see myself trying to push my tractor on the trailer without help... What should I look for in terms of quality in a winch? TIA....

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #2  
I have a winch on a trailer and it has come in handy, so I understand your thought. As far as what to look for...

Load is one. A snatch block can essentially double the pull weight, but half the speed at which it pulls.

I would think the best you could do is keep it covered and clean. The winch that came with the used trailer I purchased years ago worked, but had issues.. After tearing it apart, I realized tiny tiny bits of gravel were in the housing causing problems, and poor electrical connections from corrosion. Once cleaned, worked as new.

Personally, I'd shoot for a 5k or higher.

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #3  
I have a Harbor Freight Badlands. I think its a 12,000lbs winch,, but would need to check.. Only used it a few times over the years but its done fine. Mounted on a cradle & I welded in a 2" receiver to the front of the trailer. Heavy & sucks to schlep out of the barn. But it stays out of the weather in the barn.

My crappy welds held when I locked up the brakes to test things & tried witching the tractor on. Made it half way up before the winch ran out of oomph. Tractor & flail weigh in the neighborhood of 8k lbs.

Harbor freight cradle is only rated to 9k if I recall I pretzled it mounting it with chains improperly before welding in the hitch. It's light weight, but may have held up if used properly. Have a new better cradle with adjustable handles off Amazon now.View attachment 714154
20200729_201027.jpg
20200730_165039.jpg

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #4  
If I mainly wanted it in case of breakdown, and some minor other uses, I would mount a large, hand cranked, boat trailer winch. Extend the crank to the side if that is more convenient.

Several over 3000lb winches here. It can easily be doubled.

In the 1940's and 50's, I saw them on Jeeps occasionally. But Jeeps were much smaller and lighter then. :)

Bruce

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #5  
Why would you go to the trouble of mounting a hand crank winch on a trailer if you can put an electric one on? That would be a true pain to winch something on a 16' to 24' trailer with a slow hand crank winch. To each is own I guess.

Mine is a 12K but my trailer is a 24' and my tractor dry by itself weighs 8000 lbs.

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #6  
Oh, I got mine a tractor supply and I have the remote control for it. That's a must have.

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #7  
Whichever size winch you decide on, mount it to a removable mount so that it can be kept out of the weather! Maybe mount in under bed box where you open door to access the winch and stay protected. Other issue is the power requirement. Welding cable with Anderson connectors and set of clamps for battery in truck is a good way to hook up and could have another set connectors to make a set of long jumper cables if needed. JM2C. Whichever way is a must at any age!

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #8  
Ive had a winch on my trailer nearly 20 years. Made a mount and a battery box right beside it. I'd advise a worm gear style winch. I have an old Ramsey. You can get a Koenig or pierce, there are other brands. I have several but the warn dealer advised the worm gear. Just bought a15k hydraulic planetary and mounted on a Grapple for a logging tractor. I fool with winches. You can find the used 8k worm gear winches used condition on internet. Most log trucks use them to piggy back log trailers. There is a reason they use worm gear type.

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #9  
Putting winch on a 3pt will allow you to use tractor to load the trailer or winch tractor on trailer

Light duty winch on trailer mover
20140905_123006.jpg

Heavy duty winch with trailer mover parts added. Can't weld - used 14 or so drawbars.
20200422_155949.jpg

/ Electric Trailer Winch Question.... #10  
I have a Quadratec Q9000. It's about 15 years old. Still working fine. I changed the cable for a synthetic cable just this year. Easier to manage and not as dangerous if something breaks. Only cost about $85 for the new cable. One suggestion - If you get a wired remote, might want to consider buying an extra remote while and if it is available. They only cost about $35, unless it is a warn, then about $85. I cannot find my remote. So, since it is only a DPST switch, I made one, and then (after I could not find one from quadratec - always back ordered) I bought a Mile Marker remote and changed the connector plug. I could have just bought a wireless remote accessory, but I kept reading they have a delay after you switch. Also, if you get one with synthetic rope they seem to be about $200 higher initially which is a more expensive rope. The cable I got was rated at 23800 #. I like the synthetic because it is not supposed to recoil back on you if something breaks.

Also, you will find online charts that tell you how much rolling weight at different upward angles (loading trailer) can be pulled by different winch ratings.
Best wishes, Larry