Comparison E180 54" or S240 48"

/ E180 54" or S240 48" #1  

william8004

Tractor
POS
I'm torn between the E180 with a 54" deck and an S240 with a 48" deck. I know the differences in engines, transmissions, seat, warranty, and etc. I can get them for the same price with the E180 from Lowes or the S240 from a dealer. My property is almost 3 acres with slight hills. Nothing is really level but bumpy. I know all the pros and cons except one.

Is the 54" deck really going to make that much of a difference for 3ish acres over the upgraded engine, trans, and warranty of the S240? It may get used to push snow but no heavy pulling.

Thanks

/ E180 54" or S240 48" #2  
I would get the 54" Deck if those were my only 2 choices I was considering. However, for 3 acres, I would consider a Zero Turn. Home Depot has a 52" Ariens with Kawasaki Engine for $3k. I just bought one. Ground speed is a lot faster than a tractor also to cut down on mowing time.

/ E180 54" or S240 48" #3  
If you are going to push snow, I'd look for something that has at least a K58 or equivalent transmission but this is still on the light side of things and isn't the best choice. The K72 transmission would be a much better choice especially if you are pushing lots of heavy snow. The K46 transmission that is in the S240 has been known to give out on people who use it on steep grades or use it for pushing/pulling a lot. The K58 is the only Tuff Torq residential IHT that is rated for light ground engagement. The K46 is not rated for that. You can see the residential line of IHT's they offer here Full Line Comparison - Tuff Torq Corporation.

I'd also second the opinion to look at Zero Turn for 3 acres as well if you have lots of grass on the 3 acres. I cannot make a recommendation on a specific brand/model because Zero Turns aren't my thing.

Last edited: