Dump Trailer behind a BX22

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22 #1  

GaryG

Silver Member
Tractor
BX22
Does anyone have experience pulling and dumping mulch, compost, dirt etc. I want to get a small 5x8 dump trailer to move dirt, mulch & compost around my 5 acres. It is not level and that is what has me concerned with a dump trailer. I am using a FlexPoint hitch to pull trailers around the property. Nothing over 4000 lbs. I don't want to end up in a ravine.

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22 #2  
That seems like a lot of weight for a 1,400 lb tractor. You would need around 500 lbs hitch weight to keep the trailer from steering the tractor. Your profile does not mention an FEL, so your front end might be awfully light unless you use plenty of weights in front. I also wonder how brakes designed for a 1,400 lb tractor would stop a 5,400 lb load, maybe 6,000 with weights and weighted tires. Towing a 3,500 lb trailer behind by 4,000 lb Jeep Cherokee 4 X 4 lets me know its there. Granted, you're talking 5 mph not 60, but the concept is the same. I'll be curious to see some other opinions.

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22 #3  
Gary...

I agree with Joe. You're talking about pulling too much weight with that BX22. If you go down even a small slope fully loaded, it's likely you will not be able to stop. I've been shopping around myself for a dump trailer for my JD 4710 (approximately 3,500lb tractor, 800lb FEL, my weight 200lb) and without independent braking on the trailer, it is not safe to pull a trailer with a GVWR greater than the total weight of the tractor, FEL (if installed), and operator's weight. The problem is not pulling this load (assuming the BX22 is even able to do this). It's being able to stop which is problematic if one exceeds the aforementioned tractor/trailer weight ratio.

...Bob

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22 #4  
I have one by Country Mfg, NorthernTool also sells them, and it works pretty good. The max rating is 4000# and I've packed her to the rating, moving dirt, more than once. One of those would work great for mulch etc..

I dought youd have to much weight for your tractor with a load of mulch. You probably don't want it full of dirt or rock and head down a bank with your tractor. Dirt weighs about 2700# a yard and it can physicaly hold 2 yards. Rock wieghs even more.

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22 #5  
I have a 4x8 trailer that I use on my station wagon as well as tractor. A typical task would be to drive to the landscape nursery (about 3 miles from my home) buy 2 cu yards of mulch(which almost fills the trailer completely -2 ft. sides), return home, move the trailer from the auto to BX2200. I then pull the trailer around my property spreading the mulch in the flower beds, rock garden and around trees. I am estimating the weight of the trailer with load to be around 1500 lbs, about 400 lbs greater than the GVWR of the trailer. The only problem I have experienced with this setup is, when descending a small hill on the side of my property, the tractor brakes were not sufficient to maintain the trailer load. Fortunately, there were no obstacles at the bottom of the hill and I was able to safely come to a stop after leveling out. So, beware of an overloaded trailer while using any tractor and ensure your braking capacity can match the load.

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22 #6  
Every tractor can pull a heck of alot more than it can stop /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Will

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22
Braking is my main concern as I have some real steep hills to traverse. I may figure out a way to hook up the electric brakes to the hydraulic pump battery. With a cable and switch on the dash....HMMMMMM

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22 #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nothing over 4000 lbs. I don't want to end up in a ravine. )</font>

I've no experience in pulling trailers with the BX but the workshp manual lists a maximum trailer loading weight of 1764 pounds with a max drawbar load of 551 pounds. This is for the 1800/2200 but I would expect the 22 to be the same.

Sounds like 4000 pounds would be just a tad over the recommended maximum! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Dump Trailer behind a BX22 #9  
Just fyi...
The trailer I have wieghs about 500# empty but it does not have breaks or provisions for them.