DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc...

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #21  
Only people that don't maintain anything ride the wrecker.

A 6.4 is the least reliable engine the big 3 has offered in the last 20 years. It would take a special kind of fanboy to say otherwise.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #22  
A 6.4 is the least reliable engine the big 3 has offered in the last 20 years. It would take a special kind of fanboy to say otherwise.

They all have their problems, the secret is knowing their weakness and adapting.

Changing oil is pretty dam easy as far as adapting to a weakness...

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #24  
I reluctantly agree. Runs pretty strong for a V-8 when all is well, but man could those trucks break down. I mean it got to the point where we would ”rotate” my 6.4’s through my Powerstroke mechanic. We became friends as Im sure he viewed me as a source of income, not unlike an annuity. Lol Rest of the truck was pretty solid. Good transmission.
We could only have at best 2 of them running at once. The early rocker arms were junk. The DPF sensors were an instant call for a tow. Check engine lights on constantly. Lived off the handheld to clear codes just to get the hay delivered or machinery moved. Never forget I had a pump code and I could only go 20. Pull over shut off, get another few miles, pull over clear code, repeat. Did finally get hay delivered And limped home.
Those days are over now and my bank account is much better off with more reliable, harder pulling Cummins engines. Took me way too long to cut the umbilical cord from Ford. Got my first sniff of how well a Cummins pulled from my first JCB Fastrac about 12 years ago. The 5.9L in my first one would pull real hard. Just the fact that Cummins engines are tough enough for Agriculture speaks many many volumes.

God Bless Clessie Cummins. The man is a hero. Most of their engines are well designed, and in-line-6 torquey

Last edited:
   / DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #26  
So now you admit being FOS about routine maintenance costs.
Understanding the problem is always the first step.

It's all relative rick...do you consider front ends on dodges to be part of maintenance costs because one could make an argument for that.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #27  
I reluctantly agree. Runs pretty strong for a V-8 when all is well, but man could those trucks break down. I mean it got to the point where I would ”rotate” my 6.4’s through my Powerstroke mechanic. We became friends as Im sure he viewed me as a source of income, not unlike an annuity. Lol Rest of the truck was pretty solid. Good transmission.
We could only have at best 2 of them running at once. The early rocker arms were junk. The DPF sensors were an instant call for a tow.
Those days are over now and my bank account is much better off with more reliable, harder pulling Cummins engines. Took me way too long to cut the umbilical cord from Ford. Got my first sniff of how well a Cummins pulled from my first JCB Fastrac. The 5.9L in my first one would pull real hard.

God Bless Clessie Cummins. The man is a hero.

I’ve always liked a Ford cab but a Chevy has always been more friendly to work on, been more reliable and rides better IMO. Currently I’m driving a V12 250 and a 750 with a Cummins though. I still have my 92 3500 ton. It’s been a dang good truck but it’s low on power. I’d like to have a newer ton but I’m not paying what they cost when a medium duty is so much stronger and cost less.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #28  
It's all relative rick...do you consider front ends on dodges to be part of maintenance costs because one could make an argument for that.
I'm not making a claim I can't back up. You did and thought it would just slide on by. I owned a Dodge truck once a long time ago, for a year. I admitted my error and got rid of it. There are a ton of Ram trucks on the road now both gas and diesel. So they have more going on than the Cummins option.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #29  
I'm not making a claim I can't back up. You did and thought it would just slide on by. I owned a Dodge truck once a long time ago, for a year. I admitted my error and got rid of it.

This is a strange hill your on...defending it to it's logical conclusion will put you in some awkward rationalizations.