Dogs survive plane crash

/ Dogs survive plane crash #2  
A Cinderella story all things considered.

/ Dogs survive plane crash #3  
First, glad every one and pooches are OK. Amazing.

I thought it looked like a metroliner and I was correct.

/ Dogs survive plane crash #5  
172 people have died in a couple dozen crashes of that type of plane. When I worked at the airport, we called them 'death tubes'.

/ Dogs survive plane crash #6  
I’m pretty curious about the economics of flying dogs around for adoption as it doesn’t sound like this was an irregular event?

/ Dogs survive plane crash #7  
I’m pretty curious about the economics of flying dogs around for adoption as it doesn’t sound like this was an irregular event?
The economics of it is they got donations.

If those donations could be put to better use or not is a good question. It's hard to imagine.

Anyhow, here's a quick look at the general operating costs of that type of plane. Keep in mind it's general, but it's about $2500 per hour.

/ Dogs survive plane crash #8  
Swearingen Metroliner IV. We had 4 of them where I worked before getting hired with the Southwest. I hated working on them. The SAS (Stability Augmentation System) was a nightmare to work on. I happened to be the last mechanic working for the place that was closing it doors. I helped cut 3 airframes up. Only time I didn't mind seeing planes scrapped. The 4th one I got airworthy, but never got the SAS and autopilot working together. The test flight and last time I saw her fly was with the gear down, as I didn't have the right hyd. mule to run the gear. I hated working on them.
A friend and coworker and I rebuilt the mickey mouse landing gear well/ engine plyons on it. Took us about 5 months. Him in the left and me in the right wheel wells. Since we both worked on DC-9s and B-727s before that, we kept shaking our heads at the engineering of that airframe. I was glad to see that thing disappear and was really thinkful when I had one week of work left there and got hired by SWA.
hugs, Brandi

/ Dogs survive plane crash #9  
I keep recalling when I first started at the airport and one of those came in for I think Air Wisconsin. I'd seen Merlin's before, but never a Metroliner. It looked like they just stretched the thing out to ridiculous proportion. I went over to refuel it, and when I was done, I was sitting there filling out paperwork. They loaded all the people on. Then they tossed the baggage in the rear.... oops. It tipped down on it's tail. They took the baggage off and it wouldn't go back up. So they started making passengers get off. After a few got off, it tipped back down onto it's nose wheel. They all got off. So they started throwing baggage in the nose compartment. Once it was loaded they asked the people to get back on. Several refused and walked back to the terminal.

Later on, they got a tail strut that they were required to install before letting people on/off or load/unload baggage.

I know that weight distribution is critical on an aircraft, but that thing was a literal teeter totter!

I mean, look at these things.

8A31461D-AEEF-44E0-935E-F1A2E5DA22DD.jpeg82C2A9F0-C426-448E-9398-70F456B9DC92.jpeg

/ Dogs survive plane crash #10  
Lots of airplanes need the tail strut or "pogo stick" installed while loading uploading. I think there suppose to placards stating load the nose before the aft baggage compartment. These things are really light on the nose. The one I got airworthy, had a nose gear collapsed. The people on the scene picked up the nose and the airport manager backed his truck under the nose, to get it off the runway. He turned too far BOTH directions and damaged the nose skins. Yep, they are tail heavy.
hugs, Brandi