Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out?

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out?
I think its very true as friends from California moved businesses to Florida.

Life on the road would be an adventure for sure. Wife mentioned she'd like a simple van that we could sleep in if we felt like stopping somewhere. We used to camp before we had children. Of course, reasonable hotels are nice, too. ;)
Twice cousins rented nice RV and invited me to come along... I really enjoyed the adventure and it was nice not having to look for a room for the night.

I moved to Texas from California in 2002. It was a lot harder then I had thought it would be, but it was also like waking up after a long sleep and realizing that I wasn't enjoying my life before, and now I had so many things to look forward to. In CA, I focused on vacations and getaways. I always wanted to be somewhere else then where I lived. Here in Texas, I rarely go anywhere, I want to be home on the farm more then anywhere else.

We've talked about moving. Tyler is getting crowded. Traffic can be horrible. But we don't want to start over again, and we both appreciate what we have here, and how hard it would be to find something better if we moved. I've always wanted to live where I could see elk and have aspen trees. But I doubt that will ever happen because I don't want to deal with snow, and every time we go to the mountains, we become frustrated with something there that just drives us crazy. In Colorado, the traffic was unbearable. In South Dakota, the RV's a Harleys where non stop, and it wasn't even close to Sturgis week. Everything around Yellowstone was beautiful, but also crowded and challenging to get around. It's fun for a little bit, but we where happy to head home after being there.
Eddie and I grew up in the same California neighborhood and Eddie's story resonates with me as someone who pulled up stakes to make a dream happen.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #84  
Ultrarunner, think things through and be brutally honest. The right answer for you will present itself.

Time marches on and not making a decision is a decision too.

I am blessed that my moves have worked out.

Frankly, I am attracted to rural Tennessee but not enough to make another move. I am relatively happy in northern MI, but cold and snow do not bother me.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #85  
Ultrarunner, think things through and be brutally honest. The right answer for you will present itself.

Time marches on and not making a decision is a decision too.

I am blessed that my moves have worked out.

Frankly, I am attracted to rural Tennessee but not enough to make another move. I am relatively happy in northern MI, but cold and snow do not bother me.
My wife’s brother and his wife, both born and raised in Minnesota, now spend winters in Florida and think we are nuts for staying here in the winter, they think everyone should think like they do and when you retire you should have a place in the south, they can’t believe we like the snow and cold.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #86  
   / Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #87  
While location & climate etc. are nice, I think the people you connect with in a new location have the biggest impact on the satisifaction with your new location.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #89  
While location & climate etc. are nice, I think the people you connect with in a new location have the biggest impact on the satisifaction with your new location.
Unless you're a total hermit, that's a very good point. A place can check all the boxes; climate, scenery, cost of living, etc. but if you don't fit in socially it can be a lonely existence. Some places are more welcoming of newcomers than others, and I've found the older you get the harder it is to make new friends, at least a friendship with any substance to it.

I've traveled to most of the U.S., both on business and on road trips. Haven't found a place I've liked better than New England. I'm sure many of us feel the same way about our home region.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #90  
Unless you're a total hermit, that's a very good point. A place can check all the boxes; climate, scenery, cost of living, etc. but if you don't fit in socially it can be a lonely existence. Some places are more welcoming of newcomers than others, and I've found the older you get the harder it is to make new friends, at least a friendship with any substance to it.

I've traveled to most of the U.S., both on business and on road trips. Haven't found a place I've liked better than New England. I'm sure many of us feel the same way about our home region.
Home is where the heart is. I look back on my time in NE woods with fondness. But I left in a heartbeat when offered a So Cal job 46 yrs ago and never looked back. I worked outdoors, enough said.