Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out?

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I had hoped with maturity would come the time to enjoy the fruits of ones labor.

So far the goal has remained elusive.

A few close friends achieved or are close to their ideal but as a group it meant pulling up stakes and getting out of Dodge or more accurately leaving their home state... a few also left but never found what they were looking for...

Getting out often comes at a steep price and I'm curious how many here stayed put compared to those that liquidated and simplified elsewhere in their golden years?

And if relocating did you significantly downsize as part of your move?

Aside from tractors some of the threads I enjoy most are threads where folks follow their dream and build that house in the country with the barn, pond and neighbors good but not close...

Last edited:
   / Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #2  
I was born and raised in WA. I've visited New York, Nebraska, Texas and Alaska. I will be staying here on my property in WA. What I have, here and now, as good as it's going to get for me.

With the 80 acres and the lake - I'm able to do whatever pleases me.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #3  
We've seriously looked at relocating in the last few yrs. But never found any place better. So we stay put ;) Can't beat the weather, the activities, and the weather. Did I mention the weather? It's great. Even with all the rain it's been a nice winter, Mild temperatures with little or no freeze, spring is here and snow is there, yuck.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #4  
I had hoped with maturity would come the time to enjoy the fruits of ones labor.

So far the goal has remained elusive.

A few close friends achieved or are close to their ideal but as a group it meant pulling up stakes and getting out of Dodge or more accurately leaving their home state... a few also left but never found what they were looking for...

Getting out often comes at a steep price and I'm curious how many here stayed put compared to those that liquidated and simplified elsewhere in their golden years?

And if relocating did you significantly downsize as part of your move?

Aside from tractors some of the threads I enjoy most are threads where folks follow their dream and build that house in the country with the barn, pond and neighbors good but not close...
I think we have it figured out...

We work to earn money to spend on things we want to do when we're not at work. That's about it.

We have no plans on downsizing or moving to a different part of the country once we retire. We might find a diffent place (with 2 bathrooms! 🤣 ), but 1300 square feet is more than enough for the two of us and anyone that visits, even for extended stays.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #5  

We work to earn money to spend on things we want to do when we're not at work. That's about it.

We have no plans on downsizing or moving to a different part of the country once we retire. We might find a diffent place (with 2 bathrooms! 🤣 ), but 1300 square feet is more than enough for the two of us and anyone that visits, even for extended stays.
Economy of space has it's benefits.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #6  
We're in that last paragraph...just finished the house...OK neighbors...good church...siblings/best friends close by - the result of moving back to where my wife's family has lived for 40 years.

There are those that stay in one location all their lives...deep roots, lots of memories, friends and family, though the tradeoff may sometimes be limited opportunity in their careers.

The path we took to get here was moving several times as our careers progressed, we had roots, but never so deep to keep us in one location.

When faced with potential life changing decisions, we identified our important decision criteria, then sat long and thought hard to honestly visualize what life would be like in 5 years based on pursuing each of the major options identified.

The decision factors have always been improved quality of life, the ability to do and experience the things important to us, and towards the end - being freed up knowing our kids were grown and making their own life decisions at that point.

Knowing you on-line from your comments, suspect you have been in the same local your whole life. You've done well, good job, lots to keep you there...but you live in a location that has changed much, and is still changing and not for the better...but it is home for you.

It's not an easy set of variables to work with and will take some serious thought and rational and realistic "what-if" forecasting to make plans about your future.

Good luck...

Last edited:
   / Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #7  

Same here. We worked hard always looking at the long game (even from a young age) and achieved our goals going into retirement. We could move but why? There are many stories of people moving only to be disappointed and moving back "home".

Last edited:
   / Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #8  
Guess it all depends on where you’re coming from???

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #9  
We are in the implementation stage. My wife and I are in our early 40's. I've always been the planning type, so we planned together what we thought we wanted our retirement to look like and made plans to get us there. We are still 15-20 years from retirement. But, we have built the house that we think we want to retire in on a piece of property that we think we will enjoy through retirement. Our plan is to pay it off in 15 years or less. Then retirement should be cheaper than our current living expense.

Arkansas has a relatively low cost of living and we have the deep roots that were talked about above. We never even discussed moving out of a small enough radius to commute to our current jobs. Well, except for when our church announced a church plant in Celina TX... That one almost got me.

/ Do you ever get it all figured out or mostly figured out? #10  
Where I am is where I want to be. Better with the SO.

Fortunate to have enough living space where we can accommodate our families needs or our own "down-sizing" needs if applicable. The property has afforded us many different directions to take. It's all about finding options and having long term strategies. IMHO.